Measles Cases and Outbreaks
CDC updates this page monthly.
Measles cases in 2023
As of April 28, 2023, a total of 10 measles cases were reported by 8 jurisdictions. *
Measles cases in 2022
From January 1 to December 31, 2022, a total of 121 measles cases were reported by 6 jurisdictions. *
Measles cases in 2021
From January 1 to December 31, 2021, a total of 49 measles cases were reported by 5 jurisdictions. *
Measles cases in 2020
From January 1 to December 31, 2020, 13 individual cases of measles were confirmed in 8 jurisdictions.*
*Jurisdictions refer to any of the 50 states, New York City, and the District of Columbia.
Measles cases in 2019
- From January 1 to December 31, 2019, 1,274* individual cases of measles were confirmed in 31 states.
- This is the greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since 1992. The majority of cases were among people who were not vaccinated against measles. Measles is more likely to spread and cause outbreaks in U.S. communities where groups of people are unvaccinated.
- For more information please see the following reports:
- Increase in Measles Cases – United States, January 1-April 26, 2019 MMWR. May 3, 2019
- National Update on Measles Cases and Outbreaks – United States, January 1-October 1, 2019. MMWR. October 11, 2019
Number of measles cases reported by year
2010-2023* (as of March 30, 2023)
*Case count is preliminary and subject to change.
In a given year, more measles cases can occur for any of the following reasons:
- an increase in the number of travelers who get measles abroad and bring it into the U.S., and/or
- further spread of measles in U.S. communities with pockets of unvaccinated people.
For specific information on measles cases in recent years please see the following reports:
- Measles — United States, January 4–April 2, 2015
MMWR. April 17, 2015
- Measles Outbreak — California, December 2014–February 2015
MMWR. Feb 20, 2015
- Measles Outbreak in an Unvaccinated Family and a Possibly Associated International Traveler — Orange County, Florida, December 2012–January 2013
MMWR. Sep 12, 2014
- Notes from the Field: Measles in a Micronesian Community — King County, Washington, 2014
MMWR. Sep 12, 2014
- Measles — United States, January 1–May 23, 2014
MMWR May 29, 2014
- Notes from the Field: Measles — California, January 1–April 18, 2014
MMWR. Apr 25, 2014
- Measles — United States, January 1-August 24, 2013
MMWR. Sep 13, 2013
- Notes from the field: Measles outbreak among members of a religious community — Brooklyn, New York, March–June 2013
MMWR. Vol 62, No 36;752-3 09/13/2013
- Notes from the field: Measles outbreak associated with a traveler returning from India — North Carolina, April–May 2013
MMWR. Vol 62, No 36;753