Environmental Investigation Tools
The following tools are available to assist in the environmental component of legionellosis outbreak investigations.
Environmental Investigation Videos
CDC developed six instructional videos on various environmental aspects of legionellosis outbreak investigations.
- Legionella Environmental Assessment Form [13 pages] (UPDATED June 2015)
Use this form to document a facility’s water systems, help determine whether to conduct Legionella environmental sampling, and, if so, develop a sampling plan.
- CDC Sampling Procedure and Potential Sampling Sites [6 pages]
Use this protocol to collect environmental samples for Legionella culture during a cluster or outbreak investigation or when cases of disease may be associated with a facility (includes sampling supply checklist).
- Sample Data Sheet [1 page]
Use this form to keep track of environmental samples taken for Legionella culture during an investigation.
- Environmental Investigation Videos
Watch six instructional videos for information on various environmental aspects of legionellosis outbreak investigations.
These resources can be used to guide the environmental component of legionellosis outbreak investigations.
- Disinfection of Hot Tubs Contaminated with Legionella [2 pages]
Learn about best practices for how to remediate hot tubs.
- ASHRAE Guideline 12-2000: Minimizing the Risk of Legionellosis Associated with Building Water Systems 2000 (Also available from SPX Cooling Technologies and Baltimore Air Coil Company.)
This guideline provides information on the ecology of Legionella and guidance to minimize and remediate colonization in building water systems.
- ASHRAE Standard 188: Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems (ANSI approved)
This standard, first published in 2015, establishes minimum risk management requirements for building water systems to prevent legionellosis.
- Frequently Asked Questions on ASHRAE Standard 188: Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems
Get answers to frequently asked questions about ASHRAE Standard 188, which outlines a minimum legionellosis risk management program for buildings.
You should report outbreaks of legionellosis to the Waterborne Disease Outbreak Surveillance System (WBDOSS).
- Page last reviewed: May 31, 2016
- Page last updated: July 12, 2016
- Content source: