The One & Only Campaign
The One & Only Campaignexternal icon is a public health effort to eliminate unsafe medical injections. Through targeted education and awareness efforts, the One & Only Campaign empowers patients and healthcare providers to insist on nothing less than safe injections – every time, for every patient.
In recent years, unsafe injection practices have affected more than 150,000 patients. From 2001 through 2011, there were at least 50 outbreaks of viral hepatitis or bacterial infections associated with unsafe injection practices in outpatient settings such as physician offices or ambulatory surgical centers. This is believed to be the tip of the iceberg.
In 2009 the Safe Injection Practices Coalition (SIPC), a CDC-led partnership of healthcare-related organizations, patient advocacy organizations, industry partners, and other public health partners, developed the One & Only Campaignexternal icon.
In 2014, Eli Lilly and Companyexternal icon began a partnership with the CDC Foundation to support and expand CDC’s Safe Injection Practices Coalition. The current work of the One & Only Campaign is driven by the SIPC partnersexternal icon.
CDC is currently supporting ten state health departments (California, Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, and Vermont) that received funding to strategically disseminate One & Only Campaign materials and educational messages.
Please visit their state pages to learn more about their specific activities:
- One & Only Campaign: Californiaexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: Colorado
- One & Only Campaign: Minnesotaexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: Nebraskaexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: New Mexico
- One & Only Campaign: New Jerseyexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: New Yorkexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: North Carolinaexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: Oregonexternal icon
- One & Only Campaign: Vermontexternal icon
The suite of One & Only Campaign materials focuses on important aspects of injection safety which have been developed by CDC in collaboration with SIPC. The materials have broad application among healthcare providers of most specialties and across all healthcare settings.
Campaign materials can be downloaded or ordered CDC-INFO on Demand.
The One & Only Campaign ordering sheet pdf icon[PDF – 1 page] is a useful tool for Campaign promotion at events or conversations with others because it provides an overview of materials with simple ordering instructions. Audio and visual resourcesexternal icon are also available through the One & Only Campaign.
One & Only Campaign materials can be distributed in a variety of ways:
- During staff meetings,
- Incorporated into employee training (i.e. Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s bloodborne pathogen training),
- Posted in public areas,
- Linked to internal databases or websites,
- Linked to local and state medical boards,
- Highlighted in media outlets, and
- Discussed during public presentations.
One & Only Campaign materials
Order the electronic toolkit through CDC-INFO (pub ID # 22-1177) or access toolkit materials on the One & Only Campaign websiteexternal icon. The toolkit contains a two-pocket folder which includes a USB flash drive containing Campaign materials, such as brochures, posters, infographics, and more.
1 Needle + 1 Syringe + 1 Time = 0 Infections
The One & Only Campaign is made possible by a partnership between the CDC Foundation and Lilly USA, LLC.