When used the right way every time, condoms are highly effective in preventing HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). If condoms are paired with other option like PrEP or ART, they provide even more protection.
Resources for Consumers
- The Right Way to Use a Male Condom
- The Right Way to Use a Female Condom
- How To Use A Dental Dam As A Barrier For Oral Sex
- Learn about male and female condoms and their effectiveness in HIV Prevention Basics.
Resources for Public Health Professionals
- Page last reviewed: November 18, 2016
- Page last updated: November 18, 2016
- Content source: Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention