HIV Surveillance Reports
HIV surveillance reports disseminate data about HIV and AIDS—for example, the number and population rates of HIV diagnoses, the number of people living with HIV, and the number of people who are receiving HIV medical care.
HIV Surveillance Reports
The annual HIV Surveillance Report provides an overview on the current epidemiology of HIV disease in the United States and dependent areas. CDC funds state and territorial health departments to collect surveillance data on persons diagnosed with HIV infection; all personal identifiers are removed from these data before being transmitted to CDC via a secure data network. Data are analyzed by CDC and then displayed by age, race, sex, transmission category, and jurisdiction (where appropriate). Prior to the 2008 reporting year, the report was referred to as the HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report. The report is published annually in late summer or early fall.
- 2016 Edition, Volume 28: Diagnoses of HIV Infection in the United States and Dependent Areas, 2016
Looking for archived reports? Visit HIV Surveillance Reports Archive
HIV Surveillance Supplemental Reports
HIV Surveillance Supplemental Reports are based on data from CDC’s National HIV Surveillance System and are issued intermittently. The Enhanced HIV/AIDS Reporting System (eHARS) is a browser-based, CDC-developed application that assists health departments with reporting, data management, analysis, and transfer of data to CDC. Prior to volume 15, the report was referred to as the HIV/AIDS Surveillance Supplemental Report.
- Volume 23, Number 4: Surveillance Report: Monitoring HIV Prevention and Care Outcomes Using Surveillance Data
- Volume 23, Number 3: Diagnoses of HIV Infection among Adolescents and Young Adults in the United States and 6 Dependent Areas 2011–2016
- Volume 23, Number 2: Diagnoses of HIV Infection among Adults and Adolescents in Metropolitan Statistical Areas― United States and Puerto Rico, 2016
- Volume 23, Number 1: Estimated HIV Incidence and Prevalence in the United States, 2010-2015
Looking for archived reports? Visit HIV Surveillance Supplemental Reports Archive
HIV Surveillance Special Reports
HIV Surveillance Special Reports are based on data from CDC’s National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) and Medical Monitoring Project (MMP). NHBS conducts behavioral surveillance among people at high risk for HIV infection. MMP is a surveillance system designed to learn more about the experiences and needs of people with HIV.
- Number 20: Behavioral and Clinical Characteristics of Persons with Diagnosed HIV Infection Medical Monitoring Project, United States 2015 Cycle (June 2015–May 2016)
- Number 19: HIV Infection, Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors Among Heterosexuals at Increased Risk for HIV Infection
- Number 18: HIV Infection, Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors among Persons Who Inject Drugs National HIV Behavioral Surveillance Injection Drug Use 20 U.S. Cities, 2015
- Number 17: Behavioral and Clinical Characteristics of Persons Receiving Medical Care for HIV Infection. Medical Monitoring Project, United States 2014 Cycle (June 2014-May 2015)
- Number 16: Behavioral and Clinical Characteristics of Persons Receiving Medical Care for HIV Infection. Medical Monitoring Project, United States 2013 Cycle (June 2013-May 2014)
Looking for archived reports? Visit HIV Surveillance Special Reports Archive
HIV Surveillance Technical Reports
HIV Surveillance Technical Reports are based on non-CDC data, i.e., data that are not collected or managed by CDC. These reports also appear intermittently. Prior to volume 2, the report was referred to as the HIV/AIDS Surveillance Technical Report.
Other HIV Surveillance Reports
Other HIV Surveillance Reports provide information and recommendations published in various reports, including CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, National HIV Prevalence Surveys, and National HIV Serosurveillance Summary. These reports are published intermittently.
- MMWR: Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2017
- MMWR: Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2015
- MMWR: Sexual Identity, Sex of Sexual Contacts, and Health-related Behaviors Among Students in Grades 9-12—United States and Selected Sites, 2015
- Consultation Summary: Consultation on Advancing HIV Incidence Surveillance Summary
- MMWR: HIV Surveillance — United States, 1981–2008
- MMWR: HIV Infection Among Young Black Men Who Have Sex with Men—Jackson, Mississippi, 2006–2008
- MMWR: HIV Prevalence Estimates—United States, 2006
- MMWR: Surveillance Summary: Human Immunodeficiency Virus HIV Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors—United States, National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System: Men Who Have Sex with Men, November 2003–April 2005
- Surveillance System: Men Who Have Sex with Men, November 2003–April 2005
- HIV Prevalence Trends in Selected Populations in the United States: Results from National Serosurveillance, 1993–1997
- National HIV Prevalence Surveys, 1997 Summary
- National HIV Serosurveillance Summary, Results through 1993
- National HIV Serosurveillance Summary, Results through 1992
- Page last reviewed: July 19, 2018
- Page last updated: July 19, 2018
- Content source: Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention