HIV and American Indian/Alaska Native People: Knowledge of Status
- CDC. Behavioral and clinical characteristics of persons with diagnosed HIV infection—Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2018 cycle (June 2018–May 2019) pdf icon[PDF – 905 KB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2020;25.
- CDC. Diagnoses of HIV infection in the United States and dependent areas, 2018 (updated). HIV Surveillance Report 2020;31.
- CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States, 2014-2018. pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB] HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2020;25(1).
- CDC. High-impact HIV prevention: CDC’s approach to reducing HIV infections in the United States pdf icon[PDF – 400 KB].
- CDC. HIV infection risk, prevention, and testing behaviors among persons who inject drugs—National HIV Behavioral Surveillance: injection drug use, 23 U.S. Cities, 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2020;24.
- CDC. Improving HIV surveillance among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States pdf icon[PDF – 553 KB].
- CDC. Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data—United States and 6 dependent areas, 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 4 MB]. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2020;25(2).
- CDC. Selected national HIV prevention and care outcomespdf icon (slides). Accessed April 14, 2021.
- Bertolli J, Lee LM, Sullivan PS, American Indian/Alaska Native Race/Ethnicity Data Validation Workgroup. Racial misidentification of American Indians/Alaska Natives in the HIV/AIDS reporting systems of five states and one urban health jurisdiction, US, 1984–2002. Public Health Rep2007;122(3):382-92. PubMed Abstractexternal icon.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs. Indian entities recognized and eligible to receive services from the United States Bureau of Indian Affairsexternal icon. Fed Regist2020;85(20):5462-67.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. Key facts on health and health care by race and ethnicityexternal icon. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. Poverty rate by race/ethnicityexternal icon. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- National Center for Education Statistics. Status and trends in the education of racial and ethnic groupsexternal icon. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. Labor force characteristics by race and ethnicity, 2019external icon. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- United States Census Bureau. QuickFacts United States: American Indians and Alaska Natives. external iconAccessed April 14, 2021.
- Walters KL, Simoni JM, Evans-Campbell T. Substance use among American Indians and Alaska Natives: incorporating culture in an ‘indigenist’ stress-coping paradigm. Public Health Rep2002;117(1):s104-17. PubMed Abstractexternal icon.
a Adult and adolescent AI/AN people aged 13 and older.
b Percentage of AI/AN people reporting only one race. The US Census Bureau’s population estimates include the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
c American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the Republic of Palau, and the US Virgin Islands.