HIV and Youth: PrEP Coverage
PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is medicine people at risk for HIV take to prevent getting HIV from sex or injection drug use. PrEP coverage is the estimated percentage of people with indications for PrEP classified as having been prescribed PrEP.
PrEP Coverage Among Youth in the US, 2018
- CDC. Diagnoses of HIV infection in the United States and dependent areas, 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 7 MB]. HIV Surveillance Report 2020;31.
- CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States, 2014-2018 pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB]. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2020;25(1).
- CDC. HIV infection risk, prevention, and testing behaviors among men who have sex with men—National HIV Behavioral Surveillance, 23 U.S. Cities, 2017 pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2019; 22.
- CDC. HIV infection risk, prevention, and testing behaviors among persons who inject drugs–National HIV Behavioral Surveillance: injection drug use – 23 U.S. Cities, 2018 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2020; 24.
- CDC. HIV risk behaviors. Accessed March 18, 2021.
- CDC. Behavioral and clinical characteristics of persons with diagnosed HIV infection—Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2018 cycle (June 2018–May 2019) pdf icon[PDF – 905 KB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2020;25.
- CDC. Selected national HIV prevention and care outcomes pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB][slides].
- CDC. Sexually transmitted disease surveillance, 2018. Accessed March 18, 2021.
- National youth risk behavior survey (YRBS). Accessed March 18, 2021.
- CDC. School health profiles 2018: Characteristics of health programs among secondary schoolspdf icon.
- CDC. Results from the school health policies and practices study, 2016pdf icon.
- Kann L, McManus T, Harris W, et al. Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2017. MMWR 2018;67(8):1-114. PubMed abstractexternal icon.
- Siegler AJ, Mouhanna F, Giler RM, et al. The prevalence of pre-exposure prophylaxis use and the pre-exposure prophylaxis-to-need ratio in the fourth quarter of 2017, United States. Ann Epidemiol 2018; 28(12):841-9. PubMed abstractexternal icon.
View Page In:pdf icon HIV and Youth Fact Sheet
Page last reviewed: September 21, 2021