Healthy Relationships is a small-group intervention for persons with HIV. Through a series of interactive sessions, participants examine their risks, develop skills to reduce their risks, and receive feedback from others.
About Healthy Relationships
Healthy Relationships is a five-session, small-group intervention for men and women with HIV. It is based on Social-Cognitive Theory and focuses on developing and practicing new skills and building self-efficacy and positive expectations about new behaviors through modeling such behaviors. Decision-making and problem-solving skills are developed to enable participants to make informed and safe decisions about disclosure and behavior.
- To reduce sexual risk behaviors of men and women with HIV.
Intervention Core Elements
- Defining stress and reinforcing coping skills across three life areas—disclosing to family and friends, disclosing to sexual partners, and building healthier and safer relationships.
- Using modeling, role-play, and feedback to teach and practice skills related to coping with stress.
- Teaching decision-making skills about disclosure of HIV status.
- Providing personal feedback reports to motivate changing risky behaviors and continuing protective behaviors.
- Using movie clips to set up scenarios about disclosure and risk reduction to stimulate discussions and role-plays.
Healthy Relationships Training
There is no CDC-supported training currently available for Healthy Relationships. Technical assistance for the implementation of Healthy Relationships is available.
To request technical assistance:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request technical assistance by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a request.
If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact DHAPCBB@cdc.gov.
Implementation and Marketing Materials
Healthy Relationships clips DVD – ORDER FORM
The Healthy Relationships clips DVD is designed to be used by Healthy Relationships facilitators when implementing the intervention. Video clips are provided to persons who have attended a Healthy Relationships training. To request a copy of the video clips, please email RequestCDCTraining@caiglobal.org.
The materials and resources listed below support the implementation and/or marketing of Healthy Relationships by health departments, community-based organizations, and health care or other organizations. The resources are evidence-based and designed for cost-effective, scalable implementation.
- Kalichman S, Rompa D, Cage M, DiFonzo K, Simpson D, Austin J, Luke W, Buckles J, Kyomugisha F, Benotsch E, Pinkerton S, Graham J. Effectiveness of an intervention to reduce HIV transmission risks in HIV-positive people. Am J Prev Med 2001;21(2):84-92.