Health Care Provider Education Materials
Transforming Health: Patient-Centered HIV Prevention and Care resources are designed to support health care providers in delivering HIV health care with a focus on transgender women. The following tools can be used as education resources to prevent HIV infection; improve the health of transgender people living with HIV; and reduce HIV transmission through patient-centered treatment and linkage to care:
- Building a patient-centered care environment
- Collecting sexual orientation and gender identity (SO/GI) with transgender patients
- Taking a sexual history from transgender people
- HIV testing
- Risk reduction strategies, including PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), for HIV-negative transgender women
- HIV care and the care continuum for HIV-positive transgender women
Note: Although the information focuses on transgender women, many of the tools and information provided can be used with all transgender patients.
Transforming Health patient materials may help HIV-negative transgender people to remain negative by providing information on prevention tools including PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), using condoms, and choosing less risky kinds of sex. Materials for HIV-positive transgender people provide important messages about remaining in care and on ART (antiretroviral therapy), and engaging in safer sex, so that they can live longer, healthier lives and prevent transmission to their partners.