Educational Materials for Professionals
- Heart Disease Fact Sheet
- Men and Heart Disease
- Women and Heart Disease
- Heart Failure Fact Sheet
- Cholesterol Fact Sheet
- High Blood Pressure Fact Sheet
- Pulmonary Hypertension Fact Sheet
State Public Health Actions Program
- NHDSP Program Addresses Cardiac Rehabilitation
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Cholesterol
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Pressure
- NHDSP Program in Health Care Settings to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke
Data and Statistics
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Maps
County-by-county rates of heart disease and stroke mortality and hospitalization in the United States. View by state, racial/ethnic group, and gender. CDC collaborates with each state to produce the maps.
Guidelines, Recommendations, and Reports
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package (CRCP)External
Provides evidence- and practice-based tools and resources for quality improvement teams from hospitals and cardiac rehabilitation programs. The Million Hearts® CRCP can help health professionals put systems and strategies in place that target improved care for eligible patients.
- Vital Signs: Preventing 1 Million Heart Attacks and Strokes
Outlines how public health and health care professionals, health systems, and communities can help keep people healthy, optimize care, and improve outcomes for priority populations.
- Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood PressureExternal
Provides evidence-based guidelines about preventing and managing high blood pressure. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
The first Surgeon General’s Report specifically addressing physical activity and health.
- Surgeon General’s Reports Related to Tobacco Use
Links to reports concerning smoking and health, including reports on involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke and on tobacco use among ethnic minority groups.
- Dietary Guidelines for AmericansExternal
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and reduce risk of disease. Published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). The 2010 guidelines are being developed.
- Markers of Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease: Application to Clinical and Public Health Practice. A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart AssociationExternal.
Published in the journal Circulation.
- Guide to Community Preventive ServicesExternal
The Community Guide summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program Coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.
Page last reviewed: November 20, 2018