Diaper-Changing Steps for Childcare Settings
Download Fact Sheet: Safe and Healthy Diapering [PDF - 1 page]
- Cover the diaper changing surface with disposable liner.
- If you will use diaper cream, dispense it onto a tissue now.
- Bring your supplies (e.g., clean diaper, wipes, diaper cream, gloves, plastic or waterproof bag for soiled clothing, extra clothes) to the diapering area.
2. Clean Child
- Place the child on diapering surface and unfasten diaper.
- Clean the child’s diaper area with disposable wipes. Always wipe front to back!
- Keep soiled diaper/clothing away from any surfaces that cannot be easily cleaned. Securely bag soiled clothing.
3. Remove Trash
- Place used wipes in the soiled diaper.
- Discard the soiled diaper and wipes in the trash can.
- Remove and discard gloves, if used.
4. Replace Diaper
- Slide a fresh diaper under the child.
- Apply diaper cream, if needed, with a tissue or a freshly gloved finger.
- Fasten the diaper and dress the child.
5. Wash Child's Hands
Wash child’s hands with soap and water and place him or her in a safe, supervised area.
6. Clean Up
- Remove liner from the changing surface and discard in the trash can.
- Wipe up any visible soil with damp paper towels or a baby wipe.
- Wet the entire surface with disinfectant; make sure you read and follow the directions on the disinfecting spray, fluid or wipe. Choose disinfectant appropriate for the surface material.
7. Wash Your Hands
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Page last reviewed: March 30, 2015
- Page last updated: March 30, 2015
- Content source: