Diaper-Changing Steps for Childcare Settings
- Cover the diaper changing surface with disposable liner.
- If you will use diaper cream, dispense it onto a tissue now.
- Bring your supplies (e.g., clean diaper, wipes, diaper cream, gloves, plastic or waterproof bag for soiled clothing, extra clothes) to the diapering area.
2. Clean Child
- Place the child on diapering surface and unfasten diaper.
- Clean the child’s diaper area with disposable wipes. Always wipe front to back!
- Keep soiled diaper/clothing away from any surfaces that cannot be easily cleaned. Securely bag soiled clothing.
3. Remove Trash
- Place used wipes in the soiled diaper.
- Discard the soiled diaper and wipes in the trash can.
- Remove and discard gloves, if used.
4. Replace Diaper
- Slide a fresh diaper under the child.
- Apply diaper cream, if needed, with a tissue or a freshly gloved finger.
- Fasten the diaper and dress the child.
5. Wash Child's Hands
6. Clean Up
- Remove liner from the changing surface and discard in the trash can.
- Wipe up any visible soil with damp paper towels or a baby wipe.
- Wet the entire surface with disinfectant; make sure you read and follow the directions on the disinfecting spray, fluid or wipe. Choose disinfectant appropriate for the surface material.
7. Wash Your Hands
- Page last reviewed: July 26, 2016
- Page last updated: July 26, 2016
- Content source: