Adopt These Healthy Pet Habits
Pets can be good for our health, but they can also carry germs that make people sick. Pets can carry germs even if they look clean and healthy. Learn how to enjoy pets while staying healthy!
Pick the Right Pet
- Do your homework before getting a new pet.
- Some pets aren’t safe for kids under 5, older adults, people with weakened immune systems, or pregnant women.
Keep it Clean!
- Wash hands after touching, feeding, or caring for your pets.
- Scoop the poop: clean up after pets in your house, yard, and in public places.
- Don’t kiss your pets or let them lick your face.
- Take care to avoid bites and scratches.
- Always supervise young children around pets.
Take Your Pet to the Vet!
- Regular veterinary visits help keep pets healthy, which helps keep you healthy.
- Take your pet to the vet if you think it might be sick.
Remember, healthy pets = healthy people!
- Page last reviewed: May 4, 2018
- Page last updated: May 4, 2018
- Content source: