Prepare Your Pets for an Emergency
September 14, 2020
Is your pet included in your family’s preparedness plans?
September is National Preparedness Month
When making preparedness plans for your family, don’t forget to include your pets. Follow these simple steps now to avoid making difficult decisions when an emergency strikes.
- Make sure your pet wears a collar and tags with up-to-date contact information.
- Microchip your pet and make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Make a plan for where your pet will stay if you need to evacuate. Many evacuation centers do not allow pets.
- Create an emergency kit for your pet that includes 2-weeks’ worth of supplies. CDC has a detailed checklist of items to include.
- Practice evacuating and sheltering in place with your pet. Make sure you have necessary supplies for car rides