This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Health and Safety Tips:
- Know if you have a septic tank [PDF – 1.27 MB]. If so, properly maintain it to prevent illness.
- Know if your drinking water comes from a private well. If so, test it for contaminants.
- Prevent falls:
- Keep porches, stairs, walks, and driveways in good repair and well lit.
- Install handrails on both sides of stairs.
- Keep stairs clear of clutter.
- Supervise children in play areas at all times.
- Make sure the surfaces on your child's playground are safe.
- Remove litter, tall grass, and brush to eliminate rodent and wild animal nesting sites outside the home.
- Keep gutters clean and get rid of old tires and other containers that collect water where mosquitoes breed.
- Page last reviewed: March 3, 2014 (archived document)
- Content source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention