Health Care Facility Administrators Can:
- Support better testing practices, tracking, and reporting of infections and prevention efforts.
- Ensure policies for rapid detection and isolation of patients with C. difficile are in place and followed.
- Assess hospital cleaning to be sure it is performed thoroughly, and augment this as needed using an Environmental Protection Agency-approved, spore-killing disinfectant in rooms where C. difficile patients are treated.
- Notify other healthcare facilities about infectious diseases when patients transfer, especially between hospitals and nursing homes.
- Participate in a regional C. difficile prevention effort.
Tools for Improving Antibiotic Use
CDC’s Get Smart for Healthcare campaign is focused on improving prescribing practices in inpatient healthcare facilities.
- CDC Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs
- Checklist for Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs
- Additional Antimicrobial Stewardship Resources
Tools for Long-Term Care Facilities
- Page last reviewed: February 25, 2015
- Page last updated: February 25, 2015
- Content source: