- There are revised algorithms for group B Streptococcus (GBS) bacteria screening and use of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis (IAP) for women with threatened preterm delivery, including one algorithm for preterm labor and one for preterm premature rupture of membranes.
- Recommendations for IAP agents are presented in an algorithm format in an effort to promote use of the most appropriate antibiotic for penicillin-allergic women.
- A minor change has been made to penicillin dosing for those women not allergic to penicillin.
- 2010 Guidelines for the Prevention of Perinatal Group B Streptococcal Disease
- Prevent Group B Strep App – standalone application provides patient-specific and scenario-specific guidance consistent with 2010 Guidelines.
Questions and Answers
- Algorithm for screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization and use of intrapartum prophylaxis for women with preterm labor (PTL) [1 page].
- Algorithm for screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization and use of intrapartum prophylaxis for women with preterm premature rupture of membranes (pPROM). [1 page]
- Recommended regimens for intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease [1 page].
- Algorithm for recommended laboratory testing for prenatal screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization [1 page].
- Indications and nonindications for intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease [1 page].
- Procedures for collecting clinical specimens for culture of group B Streptococcus (GBS) at 35-37 weeks’ gestation [1 page].
- Early-onset Group B Streptococcal Disease Prevention: For Clinicians [5.72 MB, 53 pages] | PDF [1.52 MB, 53 pages] 508 compliant
- Early-onset Group B Streptococcal Disease Prevention: Procedures for Laboratories [5.34 MB, 54 pages] | PDF [2.26 MB, 54 pages] 508 compliant
- 2010 Algorithms and Tables
- Safe Healthcare Blog, Delivering GBS Prevention Guidelines
CDC blog post and comments
- Resources for Neonatal Providers
- Resources for Laboratorians
- 2002 GBS Prevention Guidelines
- Instructions for the collection of a genital swab for the detection of GBS [1 page]
One page patient information sheet outlining instructions for self-collection of prenatal vaginal/rectal swabs in the outpatient setting for the detection of GBS. Courtesy of Suzanne Garland and Angela Guzys, Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne Victoria, Australia.
- Active Bacterial Core surveillance
- Resistance in GBS
- Page last reviewed: May 23, 2016
- Page last updated: May 23, 2016
- Content source: