CDC plans to retire its 2010 GBS guidelines when new GBS guidelines are available from partners. Learn more >>
- The neonatal management algorithm’s scope was expanded to apply to all newborns.
- It provides management recommendations that depend upon clinical appearance of the neonate and other risk factors such as maternal chorioamnionitis, adequacy of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis (IAP) if indicated for the mother, gestational age and duration of membrane rupture.
- Changes were made to the algorithm to reduce unnecessary evaluations in well appearing newborns at relatively low risk for early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease.
- 2010 Guidelines for the Prevention of Perinatal Group B Streptococcal Disease
- Prevent Group B Strep App – standalone application provides patient-specific and scenario-specific guidance consistent with 2010 GuidelinesExternal.
- Algorithm for secondary prevention of early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease among newborns Cdc-pdf[1 page].
- Indications and nonindications for intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease Cdc-pdf[1 page].
- Early-onset Group B Streptococcal Disease Prevention: For Clinicians Cdc-ppt[5.72 MB, 53 pages] | PDF Cdc-pdf[1.52 MB, 53 pages] 508 compliant
- Early-onset Group B Streptococcal Disease Prevention: Procedures for Laboratories Cdc-ppt[5.34 MB, 54 pages] | PDF Cdc-pdf[2.26 MB, 54 pages] 508 compliant
- 2010 Algorithms and Tables
- Safe Healthcare Blog, Delivering GBS Prevention Guidelines
CDC blog post and comments
- Resources for Neonatal Providers
- Resources for Laboratorians
- 2002 GBS Prevention Guidelines
- Instructions for the collection of a genital swab for the detection of GBS Cdc-pdf[1 page]
One page patient information sheet outlining instructions for self-collection of prenatal vaginal/rectal swabs in the outpatient setting for the detection of GBS. Courtesy of Suzanne Garland and Angela Guzys, Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne Victoria, Australia.
- Active Bacterial Core surveillance
- Resistance in GBS