- Committee on Infectious Diseases. Group A streptococcal infectionsExternal. In Kimberlin DW, Brady MT, Jackson MA, Long SS, editors. 30th ed. Red Book: 2015 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. Elk Grove Village (IL). American Academy of Pediatrics. 2015:732–44.
- Gerber MA, Baltimore RS, Eaton CB, Gewitz M, Rowley AH, Shulman ST, et al. Prevention of rheumatic fever and diagnosis and treatment of acute streptococcal pharyngitis: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, the Interdisciplinary Council on Functional Genomics and Translational Biology, and the Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research: Endorsed by the American Academy of PediatricsExternal. Circulation. 2009;119(11):1541–51.
- Shulman ST, Bisno AL, Clegg HW, Gerber MA, Kaplan EL, Lee G, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55(10):1279–82.
- Dooling KL, Shapiro DJ, Van Beneden C, Hersh AL, Hicks LA. Overprescribing and inappropriate antibiotic selection for children with pharyngitis in the United States, 1997–2010External. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(11):1073–4.
- Prevention of Invasive Group A Streptococcal Infections Workshop Participants. Prevention of invasive group A streptococcal disease among household contacts of case patients and among postpartum and postsurgical patients: Recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and PreventionExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35(8):950–9. Erratum in: Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36(2):243.
- Smeesters PR, Laho D, Beall B, Steer AC, Van Beneden CA. Seasonal, geographic, and temporal trends of emm clusters associated with invasive group A streptococcal Infections in US multistate surveillanceExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64(5):694–5.
- Chochua S, Metcalf BJ, Li Z, Rivers J, Mathis S, Jackson D, Gertz JrRE, Srinivasan V, Lynfield R, Van Beneden C, McGee L, Beall B. Population and whole genome sequence based characterization of invasive group A streptococci recovered in the United States during 2015External. mBio. 2017;8(5):e01422–17.
- Langley G, Hao Y, Pondo T, Miller L, Petit S, Thomas A, Lindegren ML, Farley MM, Dumyati G, Como-Sabetti K, Harrison LH, Baumbach J, Watt J, Van Beneden C. The impact of obesity and diabetes on the risk of disease and death due to invasive group A Streptococcus infections in adultsExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62(7):845–52.
- Nelson GE, Pondo T, Toews K, et al. Epidemiology of invasive group A streptococcal infections in the United States, 2005–2012External. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63(4):478–86.
- O’Loughlin RE, Roberson A, Cieslak PR, et al. The epidemiology of invasive group A streptococcal infections and potential vaccine implications, United States, 2000–2004External. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:853–62.
- Kotloff K, Van Beneden C. Standardization of epidemiologic protocols for surveillance of acute diseases caused by Streptococcus pyogenes: Pharyngitis, impetigo, and invasive diseases. 2008.
- Carapetis JR, Paar J, Cherian T. Standardization of epidemiologic protocols for surveillance of post-streptococcal sequelae: Acute rheumatic fever, rheumatic heart disease and acute post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis. 2006.
- Nanduri SA, Metcalf BJ, Arwady MA, Edens C, Lavin MA, Morgan J, Clegg W, Beron A, Albertson JP, Link-Gelles R, Ogundimu A, Gold J, Jackson D, Chochua S, Stone N, Van Beneden C, Fleming-Dutra K, Beall B.A prolonged and large outbreak of invasive group A streptococcal disease within a nursing home: Repeated intra-facility transmission of a single strainExternal. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 May 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Adebanjo T, Mosites E, Van Beneden CA, Onukwube J, Blum M, Harper M, Rudolph K, Frick A, Castrodale L, McLaughlin J, Bruce MG, Gounder P.Risk factors for group A Streptococcus colonization during an outbreak among people experiencing homelessness in Anchorage, Alaska, 2017External. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 May 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mosites E, Frick A, Gounder P, Castrodale L, Li Y, Rudolph K, Hurlburt D, Lecy KD, Zulz T, Adebanjo T, Onukwube J, Beall B, Van Beneden CA, Hennessy T, McLaughlin J, Michael B. Outbreak of invasive infections from subtype 3 group A Streptococcus among homeless adults — Anchorage, Alaska, 2016–2017External. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;66(7):1068–74.
- Kobayashi M, Lyman MM, Francois Watkins LK, Toews K, Bullard L, Radcliffe RA, Beall B, Langley G, Van Beneden C, Stone ND. A cluster of group A streptococcal infections in a skilled nursing facility—the potential role of healthcare worker presenteeismExternal. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016;64(12):e279–84.
- Harrist A, Van Houten C, Shulman ST, Van Beneden C, Murphy T. Notes from the Field: Group A streptococcal pharyngitis misdiagnoses at a rural urgent-care clinic – Wyoming, March 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;64(50):1383–5.
- Dooling KL, Crist MB, Nguyen DB, Bass J, Lorentzson L, Toews KA, et al. Investigation of a prolonged group A streptococcal outbreak among residents of a skilled nursing facility, Georgia, 2009–2012External. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57(11):1562–7.
- Deutscher M, Schillie S, Gould C, Baumbach J, Mueller M, Avery C, et al. Investigation of a group A streptococcal outbreak among residents of a long-term acute care hospitalExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52(8):988–94.
- CDC. Invasive group A Streptococcus in a skilled nursing facility–Pennsylvania, 2009–2010. MMWR. 2011;60(42):1445–9.
- Jordan HT, Richards CL Jr, Burton DC, Thigpen MC, Van Beneden CA. Group A streptococcal disease in long-term care facilities: Descriptive epidemiology and potential control measuresExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45(6):742–52.
- Smith A, Li A, Tolomeo O, Tyrrell GJ, Jamieson F, Fisman D. Mass antibiotic treatment for group A Streptococcus outbreaks in two long-term care facilitiesExternal. Emer Infect Dis. 2003;9(10):1260–5.
- CDC. Outbreak of group A streptococcal pneumonia among Marine Corps recruits — California, November 1–December 20, 2002. MMWR. 2003;52(6):106–9.
- CDC. Varicella related deaths among children — United States, 1997. MMWR. 1998;47(18):365–8.
- CDC. Outbreak of invasive group A Streptococcus associated with varicella in a childcare center — Boston, Massachusetts, 1997. MMWR. 1997;46(40):944–8.
- CDC. Use of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis for investigation of a cluster of invasive group A streptococcal illness — Spokane, Washington, 1999. MMWR. 1999;48(31):681–3.
Page last reviewed: November 1, 2018