Key Activities and Accomplishments
Strategic Information and Laboratory Systems Support
• Development and phased implementation of national key HIV populations’ surveys of men who have sex with men, female commercial sex workers, and long distance truck drivers.
• Facilitated Strengthening Laboratory Management Toward Accreditation (SLMTA) process including laboratory policy and the revision of HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing algorithms and viral load
• Contributed expertise to consensus building on national TB prevalence and resistance monitoring.
• Established the only regional Early Infant Diagnosis laboratory in the Kayes region.
• Contributed expertise to the first HIV treatment cascade analysis.
• Facilitated and supported the establishment of the national HIV surveillance steering committee
National Policy and Program Support
• Assisted national TB program to identify policy and program gaps in HIV/TB integration and Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDRTB) management through facilitated national stakeholder dialogue and revision of strategic plan addressing the gaps including opt-out HIV testing strategy in TB clinics, and consensus development for funding increase for TB.
• CDC plays an active role in HIV/AIDS technical work groups on Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT), key populations, and surveillance to improve the effectiveness, and adherence to scientific PEPFAR and UNAIDS technical guidance.
• CDC serves as a partner in the multi-stakeholder Global Fund HIV and TB program reviews, along with 2018-2020 concept note development.
• The Treat-All strategy was adopted in 2016 to improve the national HIV response.