Field Epidemiology Training Program: Scientific Publications
The Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) uses evidence-based science to strengthen a trained workforce of disease detectives around the world. Our scientific publications reflect the diversity of public health issues: from emerging infectious diseases that threaten to spread globally to noncommunicable diseases that create an enormous burden on national public health systems. The work cited below addresses disease-specific outbreaks and emergencies; surveillance and laboratory science; and cross-cutting priorities related to disease threats. These publications show the diversity and strong scientific foundations of CDC’s public health work.
Learn more about the FETP program and its work through these featured articles:
Mafigiri R, Nsubuga F, Ario AR. Risk factors for measles death: Kyegegwa District, western Uganda, February–September, 2015. BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Jul 3;17(1):462.
Traicoff DA, Suarez-Rangel G, Espinosa-Wilkins Y, Lopez A, Diaz A, Caceres V. Strong and Flexible: Developing a Three-Tiered Curriculum for the Regional Central America Field Epidemiology Training Program. Pedagogy in Health Promotion 2015. 1(2): 74-82.
- Aishat U, Olubunmi A. Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV/AIDS: Perception of Health Care Workers in Rural Areas of Oyo State Journal of Information Systems for Public Health 2016. 63(10): 1353-1356.
- Arina ME, et al. Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV/AIDS: Perception of Health Care Workers in Rural Areas of Oyo State. Scientifica (Hindawi) 2016.
- Diallo B, Sissoko D, Loman NJ, Bah HA, Bah H, et al. Resurgence of Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea Linked to a Survivor With Virus Persistence in Seminal Fluid for More Than 500 Days. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2016. 63(10): 1353-1356.
- Githuka G, Rotich J, Kigen H, Kiama C, Waweru B, Boru W, et al. Notes from the Field: Ongoing Cholera Outbreak—Kenya, 2014–2016. MMWR 2016. 65(3):68-69.
- Haji A, Lowther S, Ngan’ga Z, Gura Z, Tabu C, et al. Reducing routine vaccination dropout rates: evaluating two interventions in three Kenyan districts, 2014. BMC Public Health 2016. 16:152.
- Jamir T, Sodha S, Bhagabati B, Das B, Shrivastava A, Kumar A, et al. Outbreak of measles in Bhelterghat, Ghanapara and Pekbeki, Goalpara, Assam, India, 2015. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2016. 45(S1):228.
- Kulzhabaeva A, Nabirova D, Usenbaev N, Denisiuk O, Zachariah R. Linkage between diagnosis and treatment of smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis in urban and rural areas in Kyrgyzstan. Public Health Panorama 2016. 2(1).
- Mwatondo AJ, Ng’ang’a Z, Maina C, Makayotto L, Mwangi M, et al. Factors associated with adequate weekly reporting for disease surveillance data among health facilities in Nairobi County, Kenya, 2013. Pan Afr Med J 2016. 23.
- Olayinka AT, Oyemakinde A, Balogun MS, Ajudua A, Nguku P, et al. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Infection in Nigeria: A National Survey. . Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016. 95(4):902-907.
- Page N, Groome MJ, Murray T, Nadan S, Netshikweta R, et al. Sapovirus prevalence in children less than five years of age hospitalised for diarrhoeal disease in South Africa, 2009-2013. J Clin Virol 2016. 78:82-88.
- Saleem M, Haider I, Ajaml F, Khan A. Audit & Evaluation of the Acute Flaccid Paralysis Surveillance System in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Kyhber Medical University J 2016. 8(1).
- SreeKalpana M, Asha F, Kapil G, Murhekar M, Maruthi P, et al. Hepatitis E outbreak among factory workers due to contaminated factory water, Mandya District, Karnataka, India, 2015. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2016. 45(S1):246-247.
- Suleiman T, Symkher SML, Boga H, Oundo J. Isolation and characterization of Escherichia coli pathotypes and factors associated with well and boreholes water contamination in Mombasa County. Pan Afr Med J 2016. 23:12.
- Thai PQ, Huyen NT, Luong DH, Anh TTL, Khang PV, et al. Endemic pertussis in northern region of Vietnam from 1995 to 2014 as a predictor of pertussis outbreak in 2015. Vietnam Journal of Preventative Medicine 2016. 23: 12(185).
- Umulisa I, Omolo J, Muldoon KA, Condo J, Habiyaremye F, Uwimana JM, et al. A Mixed Outbreak of Epidemic Typhus Fever and Trench Fever in a Youth Rehabilitation Center: Risk Factors for Illness from a Case-Control Study, Rwanda, 2012. . Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016. 95(2):452-456.
- Arvelo W, Gura Z, Amwayi S, Wiersma P, Omolo J, Becknell S, et al. Establishing a field epidemiology elective for medical students in Kenya: a strategy for increasing public health awareness and workforce capacity. Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health 2015. 5(1): 33-39.
- Breedlove B. Delicacy and Durability: The Microbiological Sublime. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2015. 21(1):190-191. (PDF)
Chang C, Mo X, Hu P, Liang W, Ma H, An Z, et al. Effectiveness of Rubella vaccine in a rubella outbreak in Guangzhou city, China, 2014. Vaccine 2015. 33(28): 3223-3227.
- Dhanaraj B, Papanna MK, Adinarayanan S, Vedachalam C, Sundaram V, Shanmugam S, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for adult pulmonary tuberculosis in a metropolitan city of South India. PLoS One 2015. 10(4): 1-15. (PDF)
- Dixon MG, Taylor MM, Dee J, Hakim A, Cantey P, Lim T, et al. Contact Tracing Activities during the Ebola Virus Disease Epidemic in Kindia and Faranah, Guinea, 2014. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2015. 21(11): 2022-2028.
- Gignoux E, Idowu R, Bawo L, Hurum L, Sprecher A, Bastard M, et al. Use of Capture-Recapture to Estimate Underreporting of Ebola Virus Disease, Montserrado County, Liberia. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2015. 21(12): 2265-2267. (PDF)
- Kilmarx PH, Clarke KR, Dietz PM, Hamel MJ, Husain F, McFadden JD, et al. Ebola virus disease in health care workers–Sierra Leone, 2014. MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2014. 63(49): 1168-1171.
- Kiran SK, Pasi A, Kumar S, Kasabi GS, Gujjarappa P, Shrivastava A, et al. Kyasanur Forest disease outbreak and vaccination strategy, Shimoga District, India, 2013-2014. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2015. 21(1): 146-149. (PDF)
- Kumar T, Shrivastava A, Kumar A, Laserson KF, Narain JP, Venkatesh S, et al. Viral Hepatitis Surveillance — India, 2011–2013 . Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2015. 64(28): 758-762. (PDF)
- Ngunu-Gituathi C, Ng´ang´a Z, Wanzala P, Amwayi S. Factors Associated with Severity of Motorcycle Injuries in Patients attending Thika Level 5 Hospital, Kenya 2013. The African Journal of Health Sciences 2015. 28(1): 53-62.
- Pelletier AR, Tongren JE, Gilchrist J. Injury Prevention Practices as Depicted in G- and PG-Rated Movies, 2008-2012. Journal of Community Health 2015. 40(4): 613-618.(PDF)
- Plucinski MM, Chicuecue S, Macete E, Chambe GA, Muguande O, Matsinhe G, et al. Sleeping arrangements and mass distribution of bed nets in six districts in central and northern Mozambique. Tropical Medicine & International Health 2015. 20(12): 1685-1695. (PDF)
- Plucinski MM, Talundzic TE, Morton L, Dimbu PR, Macaia AP, Fortes F, et al. Efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine and dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treatment of uncomplicated malaria in children in Zaire and Uíge Provinces, angola. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2015. 59(1): 437-443. (PDF)
- Shrivastava A, Srikantiah P, Kumar A, Bhushan G, Goel K, Kumar S, et al. Outbreaks of Unexplained Neurologic Illness — Muzaffarpur, India, 2013–2014. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2015. 64(3): 49-53. (PDF)
- Traicoff DA, Suarez-Rangel G, Espinosa-Wilkins Y, Lopez A, Diaz A, Caceres V. Strong and Flexible: Developing a Three-Tiered Curriculum for the Regional Central America Field Epidemiology Training Program. Pedagogy in Health Promotion 2015. 1(2): 74-82. (PDF)
- Bangure D, Chirundu D, Ndondo H, Tshimanga M, Gombe N, Takundwa L. Evaluation of Acute Flaccid Paralysis Surveillance System in Sanyati District, Zimbabwe, 2013 Donewell. International Journal of Epidemiology & Infection 2014. 2(2): 36-42.
- Chimberengwa PT, Masuka N, Gombe NT, Bangure D, Tshimanga M, Takundwa L. Schistosomiasis outbreak investigation, Empandeni Ward, Mangwe District, Matabeleland South Province, June 2012; a case control study. BioMed Central Research Notes 2014. 7: 1-6. (PDF)
- Githuku JN, Azofeifa A, Valencia D, Ao T, Hamner H, Amwayi S, et al. Assessing the prevalence of spina bifida and encephalocele in a Kenyan hospital from 2005-2010: implications for a neural tube defects surveillance system. Pan African Medical Journal 2014. 18: 1-7. (PDF)
- Goverwa TP, Masuka N, Tshimanga M, Gombe NT, Takundwa L, Bangure D, et al. Uncontrolled hypertension among hypertensive patients on treatment in Lupane District, Zimbabwe, 2012. BioMed Central Research Notes 2014. 7: 1-8. (PDF)
- He Y, Yang J, Zeng G, Shen T, Fontaine RE, Zhang L, et al. Risk factors for critical disease and death from hand, foot and mouth disease. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2014. 33(9): 966-970.
- Imanishi M, Kweza P, Slayton RB, Urayai T, Ziro O, Mushayi W, et al. Household Water Treatment Uptake during a Public Health Response to a Large Typhoid Fever Outbreak in Harare, Zimbabwe. The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2014.
- Johnson LEA, Clara W, Gambhir M, Chacón- Fuentes R, Marín-Correa C, Jara J, et al. Improvements in pandemic preparedness in 8 Central American countries, 2008 – 2012. BioMed Central Health Services Research 2014. 14: 209. (PDF)
- Mofleh J and Ansari J. Evaluation of measles surveillance systems in Afghanistan-2010. Academic Journals 2014. 6(11): 407-416 (PDF)
- Muchemi OM, Gichogo AW. Maternal mortality in Central Province, Kenya, 2009-2010. Pan African Medical Journal 2014. 17: 1-6. (PDF)
- Mucheru GM, Kikuvi GM, Amwayi SA. Knowledge and practices towards rabies and determinants of dog rabies vaccination in households: a cross sectional study in an area with high dog bite incidents in Kakamega County, Kenya, 2013. Pan African Medical Journal 2014. 19: 255.
- Mungati M, Manangazira P, Takundwa L, Gombe NT, Rusakaniko S, Tshimanga M. Factors affecting diagnosis and management of hypertension in Mazowe District of Mashonaland Central Province in Zimbabwe: 2012. BioMed Central Cardiovascular Disorders 2014. 14: 1-12. (PDF)
- Muti M, Gombe N, Tshimanga M, Takundwa L, Bangure D, Mungofa S, et al. Typhoid outbreak investigation in Dzivaresekwa, suburb of Harare City, Zimbabwe, 2011. Pan African Medical Journal 2014. 18: 1-7. (PDF)
- Nguku P, Oyemakinde A, Sabitu K, Olayinka A, Ajayi I, Fawole O, et al. Training and service in public health, Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training, 2008 – 2014. Pan African Journal 2014. 18 Suppl 1(1-5). (PDF)
- Shuaib F, Gunnala R, Musa EO, Mahoney FJ, Oguntimehin O, Nguku PM, et al. Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak — Nigeria, July-September 2014. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2014. 63(39):867-872. (PDF)
- Zorodzai J, Chirundu D, Tshimanga M, Gombe N, Takundwa L, Bangure D. Factors Associated with Contracting Typhoid Fever among Residents of Bluegrass Resettlement Area, Sanyati District, Zimbabwe, 2013. International Journal of Epidemiology & Infection 2014. 2(4): 63-70.
- Ansari JA, Salman M, Safdar RM, Ikram N, Mahmood T, Zaheer HA, et al. HIV/AIDS outbreak investigation in Jalalpur Jattan (JPJ), Gujrat, Pakistan. Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health 2013. 3(4): 261-268.
- Hassan S, Imtiaz R, Ikram N, Baig MA, Safdar R, Salman M, et al. Public health surveillance at a mass gathering: urs of Baba Farid, Pakpattan district, Punjab, Pakistan, December 2010. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2013. 19 Suppl 2(24-28)
- Islam Saeed KM, Ahadi J, Sahak MN, Ghiasi AF, Ashgar RJ. Concurrent Brucellosis and Q Fever Infection: a Case Control Study in Bamyan Province, Afghanistan. Central Asian Journal of Public Health 2013. 2(2).
- Jones D, Caceres V, Herrera-Guibert D. A tool for quality improvement of field epidemiology training programs:Experience with a new scorecard approach. Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology 2013. 5(9): 385-390.
- Maponga BA, Chirundu D, Gombe NT, Tshimanga M, Shambira G, Takundwa L. Risk factors for contracting watery diarrhoea in Kadoma City, Zimbabwe, 2011: a case control study. BioMed Central Infectious Diseases 2013. 13(567): 1-8.
- Stella Ngwende, Gombe NT, Midzi S, Tshimanga M, Shambira G, Addmore Chadambuka. Factors associated with HIV infection among children born to mothers on the prevention of mother to child transmission programme at Chitungwiza Hospital, Zimbabwe, 2008. BioMed Central Public Health 2013. 13: 1-8. (PDF)