For Healthcare Professionals
Demonstrate dedication to and accountability for optimizing antibiotic prescribing and patient safety.
|Reference||Interventions and Outcomes||Methods, Participants, and Settings||Results||Conclusions|
|Meeker D, et al. Nudging guideline-concordant antibiotic prescribing: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 2014. 174(3):425–31.||Interventions
• Poster containing a public commitment to use antibiotics judiciously with clinician picture and signature displayed in examination rooms at point of clinician-patient encounter
• Antibiotic prescribing rates for acute respiratory infections (ARIs) for which antibiotics are inappropriate
• Randomized clinical trial
• 15 primary care providers
• 5 primary care clinics in the United States
|• 954 adults with ARI
• Poster group had a 19.7% decrease in inappropriate prescribing for acute respiratory infections compared with controls, p = 0.02, controlled for baseline rates of antibiotic prescribing.
|• Public commitments in a poster are a low-cost intervention that can result in reduced inappropriate prescribing.|
|Pollack LA, et al. Antibiotic stewardship programs in U.S. acute care hospitals: findings from the 2014 National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Annual Hospital Survey. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2016; 63:443-9
• No intervention; observational study
• Level of variability in antibiotic stewardship programs (ASPs) by hospital characteristic and location
• Observational study
• Hospitals enrolled in the National Healthcare Safety Network
• 2014 National Healthcare Safety Network Annual Hospital Survey
|• 4184 US hospitals
• On self-report, 39% of hospitals have an ASP meeting all 7 CDC defined core elements of inpatient antibiotic stewardship.
• 59% of hospitals with more than 200 beds (59%) had an ASP meeting all Core Elements
• 25% of hospitals with less than 50 beds had an ASP meeting all Core Elements
• States reporting a percentage of hospitals with all 7 core elements ranged from 7% to 58%.
• Written support and salary support for ASP were significantly associated with having an ASP meeting all Core Elements.
|• There is wide variability with ASP implementation.
• Hospital leadership support appears crucial for comprehensive ASPs
• ASPs can be established in hospitals of all sizes.
- Page last reviewed: April 17, 2015
- Page last updated: May 12, 2017
- Content source: