Pharmacists play an integral role in promoting appropriate antibiotic use in the community by
- Educating patients and parents about properly taking antibiotics and the potential harms of antibiotic use, including antibiotic resistance and adverse drug events
- Serving as the final healthcare provider to see a patient before an antibiotic is dispensed
- Providing guidance for symptom relief for common infections which do not require an antibiotic
- Promoting available vaccines
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) believes that pharmacists have a responsibility to take prominent roles in antimicrobial stewardship programs. See the ASPH Statement on antimicrobial stewardship.
Materials to Use with Your Patients
Help your patients understand the importance of appropriate antibiotic use, including adhering to antibiotic prescriptions, with materials developed by CDC’s Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work program. Posters, fact sheets, videos, and other electronic materials are available, including a number of materials tailored for parents of young children and Spanish speakers. All materials are free to download, print, and copy.
Related Tools for Pharmacists
- Continuing Education Web-based Course for Community Pharmacists
- Podcast: Pharmacists Can Make the Difference (2:21 minutes)
- Print Materials for Healthcare Professionals
- Videos for Healthcare Professionals
- Page last reviewed: April 17, 2015
- Page last updated: April 17, 2015
- Content source: