Announcement: Special CDC-NIH Collaborative Webinar
Precision Medicine and Health Disparities: The Promise and Perils of Emerging Technologies
October 11, 2017: 3:00-4:00 pm EDT
FREE REGISTER REQUIRED: REGISTER NOW
Advances in genome sequencing, other “omic” technologies, and big data promise a new era of personalized medicine in the world of public health. However, it is not entirely clear whether new technologies can be used to understand and address existing population health disparities. The Precision Medicine and Population Health Interest Group in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the National Institutes for Health Genomics and Health Disparities Interest Group, and the CDC Office of Public Health Genomics invite you to a special one-hour online webinar that explores the intersection of genomics, precision medicine and health disparities. Webinar speakers will explore the appropriate impact of genomics and precision medicine in understanding and addressing health disparities in the U.S. and around the world. After the two 20-minute keynote presentations, another 20 minutes will be devoted to a discussion and questions and answers session with webinar participants.
Special Webinar Organizing Committee: Vence Bonham (National Human Genome Research Institute, NHGRI), Michael Hahn (NHGRI), Debbie Winn (NCI), and Muin Khoury (CDC)
Charles N. Rotimi, PhD
Chief and Senior Investigator, Metabolic, Cardiovascular and Inflammatory Disease Genomics Branch Director, Center for Research on Genomics and Global Health, National Human Genome Research Institute
Wylie Burke, MD, PhD
Professor and former Chair, Department of Bioethics and Humanities, University of Washington Adjunct Professor of Medicine (in the Division of Medical Genetics) Member of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Genomics, Health Disparities, and Missed Opportunities for the Nation’s Research Agenda. West KM, Blacksher E, Burke W. JAMA. 2017 May 9;317(18):1831-1832.
- The African diaspora: history, adaptation and health. Rotimi CN, Tekola-Ayele F, Baker JL, Shriner D. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2016 Dec;41:77-84.
- Will Precision Medicine Improve Population Health? Khoury MJ, Galea S. JAMA. 2016 Oct 4;316(13):1357-1358.
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Genomic Sequencing. Spratt DE, Chan T, Waldron L, Speers C, Feng FY, Ogunwobi OO, Osborne JR. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Aug 1;2(8):1070-4.
- The contribution of genomic research to explaining racial disparities in cardiovascular disease: a systematic review. Kaufman JS, Dolman L, Rushani D, Cooper RS. Am J Epidemiol. 2015 Apr 1;181(7):464-72.
- Genomics is failing on diversity. Popejoy AB, Fullerton SM. Nature. 2016 Oct 13;538(7624):161-164.
- Page last reviewed: August 9, 2017
- Page last updated: August 9, 2017
- Content source: