Applied Research in Public Health Genomics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
May 26, 2022, 11:00 am -12:30 pm EDT
Please join us for this free Mini Symposium via Zoom
The CDC Office of Genomics and Precision Public Health will hold a mini symposium during national public health genetics week to highlight current and future applied research in human genomics and public health at the CDC
In collaboration with the Office of Advanced Molecular Detection, we recently launched a five-year initiative to strengthen public health capacity for integrating human genomics into public health surveillance and applied research. A call for pilot projects throughout CDC in late 2021 yielded 23 applications from across CDC, covering infectious and noninfectious disease topics throughout the lifespan.
This mini symposium will identify opportunities and challenges for using human genomics in public health programs. Speakers will review individual projects and identify cross cutting needs and opportunities for integrating human genomics into public health, using a health equity lens.
One long-term objective is to create a community of practice in human genomics in public health across CDC , state and local public health programs, and enhanced collaborations with health care systems, researchers and communities.
Office of Genomics and Precision Public Health, Office of Science
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center on Environmental Health
Division of Birth Defects and Infant Disorders, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities
Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Diseases
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for Hiv, Viral Hepatitis, STDs and TB Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, NCDPHP
- Genomics and Precision Medicine 2021: Progress in Implementation, A Focus on Health Equity, and a New Public Health Initiative, CDC Blog Post, 2021
- Precision Public Health in Action: New CDC Pilot Projects Integrate Human Genomics into Public Health Surveillance and Applied Research, CDC Blog Post, 2022
- The Current Landscape of CDC Publications in Human Genomics and Public Health, CDC Blog Post, 2022
- CDC Newborn Screening Portal, 2022
- A Strong Start: Enhancing Newborn Screening for Precision Public Health, CDC Blog Post, 2020
- Using Pharmacogenetics to Enhance Tuberculosis (TB) Treatment, CDC Blog Post, 2022
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 2022
- CDC Cancer Genomics Program, 2022
- Office of Genomics and Precision Public Health, Office of Science