Challenges in Food Safety
Sometimes the foods we love and count on for good health are contaminated with germs that cause sickness and can even be deadly. More progress is needed to protect people and reduce foodborne illness in America.
New challenges to food safety will continue to emerge, largely because of:
- Changes in our food production and supply, including more imported foods.
- Changes in the environment leading to food contamination.
- Better detection of multistate outbreaks.
- New and emerging bacteria, toxins, and antibiotic resistance.
- Changes in consumer preferences and habits.
- Changes in the tests that diagnose foodborne illness.
- Page last reviewed: August 31, 2015
- Page last updated: September 8, 2017
- Content source: