Available Tools for Increasing Influenza Vaccination among Health Care Personnel in Long-term Settings
The content on this website is being archived for historic and reference purposes only.
There are ways to improve health care personnel (HCP) influenza vaccination rates. Helpful resources are organized into the following categories:
Click or tap on a section name to expand each list.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seasonal Flu Information for Businesses & Employers. Flyers, posters, and more.
- Immunization Action Coalition. Declination of Influenza Vaccination Form pdf icon[65 KB, 1 page]external icon. Fact sheets and other resources.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Influenza Vaccination of Health Care Providers in Long-Term Care: Letter from the Assistant Secretary for Health pdf icon[302 KB, 2 pages]
- Veterans Affairs Campaign Resourcesexternal icon. Website.
Health Care Personnel
- The Joint Commission. Influenza and Influenza Vaccine Myths and Reality pdf icon[108 KB, 2 pages]external icon. Fact Sheet.
- American Medical Directors Association (AMDA). Influenza Immunization and the Health Care Worker (18 minutes). Video.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. I Won’t Spread Flu to My Patients or Family pdf icon[380 KB, 1 page]. Poster.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Resources for Health Professionals. Website.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Continue to Vaccinate Patients and Staff Against the Flu. Podcast.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza Vaccination Information for Health Care Workers. Website.
- New York Department of Health. For HCP, Protect Your Patients, Protect Your Family, Protect Yourself! pdf icon[1.5 MB, 1 page]external icon. Poster.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. I Can’t Miss Work pdf icon[1.7 MB, 1 page]. Flyer.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seasonal Influenza Free Resources. Website.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Everyday Preventive Actions pdf icon[1.5 MB, 2 pages]. Flyer.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fight the Flu pdf icon[200 KB, 1 page]. Flyer.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Take 3 Actions to Fight the Flu pdf icon[158 KB, 1 page]. Poster.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Take 3 Actions to Fight the Flu pdf icon[1.9 MB, 2 pages]. Brochure.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. No More Excuses (places to get flu vaccine) pdf icon[445 KB, 1 page]. Flyer.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Misconceptions about Seasonal Flu and Flu Vaccines. Website.
- Health Care Provider/Facility Influenza Immunization Toolkitexternal icon
New York State Department of Health. Health Care Provider/Facility Influenza Immunization Toolkit. Contains information to help explain the science on the importance of vaccinating health care personnel (HCP) against influenza. Also contains tools to assist in ordering, storing, and administering influenza vaccine for staff as well as adult patients.
- Toolkitexternal icon
Minnesota Department of Health. Long-term Care Influenza. Available online and as a printable resource. Contains information specific to LTC settings.
- Toolkit pdf icon[2.3 MB, 73 pages]external icon
County of San Diego Immunization Branch, Health and Human Services Agency. Immunizations Toolkit for Long-term Care Providers. Available online and as a printable resource. Contains information specific to LTC settings.
- General Resourcesexternal icon
Immunization Action Coalition. Includes general resources for HCP and their patients regarding influenza illness and the influenza vaccines.
- Veterans Health Administration’s Seasonal Influenza Manual: Prevention in Action 2013-2014pdf icon[4.2 MB, 196 pages]external icon
Provides information about influenza vaccination, education and communication resources, and guidance on how to implement successful influenza prevention campaigns. It is intended for use by the teams and campaign coordinators within VHA facilities.
- Veterans Health Administration – Seasonal Influenza Campaign Calendar pdf icon[2.3 MB, 6 pages]external icon
Provides a timeline and monthly checklists to aid in planning, implementation and evaluation of your facility’s flu vaccination campaign.
- Checklist of Best Practices for Vaccination Clinics pdf icon[709 KB, 6 pages]external icon, Best Practice Pledge pdf icon[340 KB, 1 page]external icon
This checklist is a step-by-step guide to help clinic coordinators/supervisors overseeing vaccination clinics held at satellite, temporary, or off-site locations. This checklist outlines CDC guidelines and best practices that are essential for patient safety and vaccine effectiveness. Questions about the Checklist? Send an email to email@example.com. Want to take the pledge? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone will be in touch with you.
- Checklist of Best Practives for Vaccination Clinics (Spanish) pdf icon[698 KB, 7 pages]external icon
- HHS National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Careexternal icon
The National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care (the National CLAS Standards) are intended to advance health equity, improve quality, and help eliminate health care disparities by providing a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
- Influenza Vaccine Information Statementsexternal icon
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Influenza vaccine information statements provided in a number of languages.
- Seasonal Influenza: Print Materials in Spanish
CDC. Educational resources on influenza provided in Spanish and organized by target audiences.
- Declination Form pdf icon[80 KB, 1 page]external icon in Spanish
Immunization Action Coalition. Influenza vaccination declination forms in Spanish.
- The National Influenza Vaccination Disparities Partnership (NIVDP) Resource Kit pdf icon[48 MB, 35 pages]
CDC. Information on tailoring messages about influenza and the importance of influenza vaccination across culturally and economically diverse communities.
- MedlinePlusexternal icon
National Library of Medicine. Information about influenza in a number of languages.
- Public Health–Seattle & King Countyexternal icon
Influenza fact sheets in the following languages: Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese.
- Seasonal Flu Materials for Refugees
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Printable educational resources written in the native languages of refugee populations commonly resettled in the United States.
- Interim Guidance for Influenza Outbreak Management in Long-Term Care Facilities
CDC. Includes information on influenza surveillance and testing, influenza infection control, treatment, prophylactic use of influenza antivirals, and other resources for managing an influenza outbreak in a long-term care setting.
- Interventions to Promote Seasonal Influenza Vaccinations among Health Care Workersexternal icon
Community Preventive Services Task Force. Recommendations from the Community Preventive Services Task Force. Provides rationale and recommendations based on a systematic review of interventions for promoting influenza vaccination among HCP.
- Providing a Safer Environment for Health Care Personnel and Patients through Influenza Vaccinationexternal icon. Also available, a one-page summary with page references to the monographexternal icon
The Joint Commission. Informs health care organizations of all types on how to improve seasonal influenza vaccination rates in HCP.
- Immunizing Health Care Personnel against Influenza: A Report on Best Practices pdf icon[1.5 MB, 23 pages]external icon
National Foundation for Infectious Diseases. Presents information as case-studies which can be adapted and modeled by other organizations.
- Recommendations on Strategies to Achieve the Healthy People 2020 Annual Influenza Vaccine Coverage Goal for Health Care Personnel pdf icon[252 KB, 44 pages]external icon
National Vaccine Advisory Committee. Presents a set of tiered strategies to help build an influenza vaccination program in facilities towards the goal of annually reaching 90% coverage, the Healthy People 2020 influenza vaccine coverage goal for HCP. Also includes a discussion of the ethical and legal considerations of implementing mandatory policies in health care settings.
- National Action Plan to Prevent Health Care Associated Infections: Roadmap to Elimination. Influenza Vaccination of Health Care Personnel [427 KB, 20 pages]external icon
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Provides a link to a section of the HHS National Action Plan to Prevent Health Care Associated Infections: Road Map to Elimination (HAI Action Plan) describing influenza vaccination of HCP as an important strategy to reducing health care associated influenza outbreaks in health care settings.
- Flu Basics
- Influenza Information for Health Professionals
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines
- Interim Guidance for Influenza Outbreak Management in Long-term Care facilities
- Guidance on the Use of Influenza Antivirals
- Summary Guidance for Clinicians Who Care for People at Higher Risk for Influenza-Related Complications pdf icon[112 KB, 2 pages]
- VIS: Inactivated Flu Vaccine
- Infection: Don’t Pass It Onexternal icon