Gathering information year-round about influenza disease and viruses through the use of global and domestic disease and virologic surveillance systems are critical for the early identification of novel influenza A viruses that have pandemic potential. The following resources provide additional information on global monitoring for pandemic and avian flu.
Monitoring Potential Pandemic Flu
- The CDC Influenza Division International Program works with a wide range of international partners, including the World Health Organization, National Ministries of Health and others to build capacity to respond to pandemic influenza and to prevent and control seasonal influenza. Read more about the CDC Influenza International Program activities to help establish, expand, and maintain influenza surveillance and laboratory capacity, develop global and local pandemic plans and influenza prevention policies, support targeted research projects to address critical needs, and build the evidence base for decisions on influenza vaccine program expansion.
- Find CDC Evaluation and Capacity Review Tools for flu surveillance, laboratory testing, and inventory tools.
- Read more about the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response SystemExternal, and the recommendations for laboratory diagnostics, vaccines, and antivirals.
- Find the latest influenza updates and read summaries of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) global flu surveillanceExternal.
- Review WHO’s guidelines for Global Surveillance During an Influenza Pandemic Cdc-pdf[603 KB, 35 Pages]External.
World Health Organization’s Monitoring Reports
Read WHO information on the spread of influenza between human and animalExternal and get the latest updates including:
- WHO Influenza at the Human-Animal Interface, Monthly Risk Assessment SummaryExternal
- Cumulative number of confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H5N1) reported to WHOExternal.
- WHO’s timeline of H5N1 outbreaks in animals and humans from 1996 to 2014 Cdc-pdf[1 MB, 89 Pages]External
- World Organisation for Animal Health’s graph of H5N1 outbreaks in poultryExternal. The data is available by country from 2003 to the present.
- WHO report describing the human cases of influenza at the human-animal interface January 2014-April 2015 Cdc-pdf[401 KB, 349 Pages]External
- WHO Avian Influenza A(H7N9) Information Cdc-pdf[420 KB, 8 Pages]External