Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tip: Know Your Family History
Thanksgiving Day is National Family History Day. Take a few minutes to know your family health history. A family health history helps to identify if you, or other family members, may be at a higher risk for certain diseases or conditions. It reflects risk factors that family members share, like genes, environment, and lifestyle. A useful family health history shows three generations of your biological relatives, the age at diagnosis, and the age and cause of death of deceased family members. Family health history is a useful tool for understanding health risks and preventing disease in individuals and their close relatives. Start a family health portrait today.
- Update your family health portrait as you learn about family members’ diseases and conditions.
- Share your family health portrait with other family members. Encourage them to create one also.
All Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tips
- Make Health Your Resolution
- Take Folic Acid
- Lower Your Risk for Cervical Cancer
- Learn the Signs and Symptoms of a Heart Attack
- Wear Red for Heart Health
- 5 Tools for Pregnant Women, New Moms, and Women Who Are Considering Pregnancy
- Be a Healthy Valentine
- Prevent Infections During Pregnancy
- Wear a Helmet
- Limit Alcohol and Prevent Prescription Drug Overdose
- Watch for Milestones
- Prevent STDs
- Garden Safely
- Page last reviewed: October 26, 2015
- Page last updated: October 26, 2015
- Content source: