Heat and Athletes
all activity and get to a cool environment if you feel faint or weak.
- Limit outdoor activity, especially midday when the sun is hottest.
- Wear and reapply sunscreen as indicated on the package.
- Schedule workouts and practices earlier or later in the day when the temperature is cooler.
- Pace activity. Start activities slow and pick up the pace gradually.
- Drink more water than usual and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink more. Muscle cramping may be an early sign of heat-related illness.
- Monitor a teammate’s condition, and have someone do the same for you.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Seek medical care immediately if you or a teammate has symptoms of heat-related illness.
- Learn more by participating in a CDC course on preventing heat-related illness.
- Page last reviewed: June 20, 2011
- Page last updated: June 20, 2011
- Content source: