The following archive consists of historical articles which were featured on the main page in the spotlight section of this Meaningful Use website.
- 1/1/2017 – Looking for information to register for the next Zika Virus Disease webinar for Health IT Developers. Please click here
- 1/30/2017 – The CMS Centralized Repository https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/Downloads/CentralizedRepository.zipzip icon[ZIP – 43KB]external icon has recently became available.
- 1/30/2017 – The APHL MU 2 PH readiness data sheet https://www.aphl.org/programs/informatics/Pages/MU-Public-Health-Readiness.aspxexternal icon (from the 2014 archives) The Stage 3 updates are likely to be available soon, as APHL is currently working to update the data sheet.
- 03/14/2017 – The Government Accountability Office (GAO) in support of the 21st Century Cures Act is establishing a Health Information Technology Advisory Committee to provide recommendations to the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology on policies, standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria relating to the implementation of a health information technology infrastructure that advances the electronic access, exchange, and use of health information. The GAO is accepting nominations of individuals for this committee. Letters of nomination and resumes should be submitted by April 14, 2017 for appointments that will be made in July 2017. Acknowledgement of submissions will be provided within a week of submission.
4/14/2017 – Federal Register: Health Information Technology Advisory Committee Nominations; Request for Letters of Nomination and Resumes
Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/03/08/2017-04456/health-information-technology-advisory-committee-nominations-request-for-letters-of-nomination-andexternal icon
- 10/13/2016 – CMS Centralized Repository for Public Health Readiness
- 10/13/2016 – CMS section update
Registries Can Declare Readiness to Receive Electronic Public Health Data through New Input Form
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is developing a centralized repository for public health agency (PHA) and clinical data registry (CDR) reporting. The repository will assist providers in finding entities that accept electronic public health data.
As stated in the October 2015 final rule, the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs include several public health measures that require eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals to be in active engagement with a PHA or CDR to submit electronic public health data.
To develop the repository, registries should declare their readiness to receive electronic data by completing the Centralized Repository for Public Health Agencies and Clinical Data Registry Reporting Input Form.
Registries must identify which of the following public health measures they support:Immunization Registry (2016, 2017, 2018)
Syndromic Surveillance Reporting (2016, 2017, 2018)
Specialized Registry Reporting (2016, 2017)
Electronic Reportable Laboratory Result Reporting (2016, 2017, 2018)
Electronic Case Reporting (2017, 2018)
Public Health Registry Reporting (2017, 2018)
Clinical Data Registry Reporting (2017, 2018)Note: This list includes the years that the public health measures are required as part of the EHR Incentive Programs.How to Submit an Input Form
Registries may submit an input form between September 1 and October 31, 2016 for inclusion in the 2017 Centralized Repository. Please e-mail all completed input forms to EHRInquiries@cms.hhs.gov.
For More Information
The repository is expected to be completed in early 2017. All collected data will be posted on the EHR Incentive Programs Website. CMS will notify subscribers once the information is available.
10/6/2015 – Finale Rule
- 2015 Edition Health Information Technology (Health IT) Certification Criteria, 2015 Edition Base Electronic Health Record (EHR) Definition, and ONC Health IT Certification Program Modifications Final Rule – October 6, 2015external icon
- CMS recently released a final rulethat specifies criteria that eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet in order to articipate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programsexternal icon . The final rule’s provisions encompass 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) as well as Stage 3 in 2018 and beyond.
09/23/2015 – Final Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015-2020 Released
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), in collaboration with over 35 federal partners, has released the updated Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015–2020 (Plan)external icon.
- 04/30/2015 – CMS released a proposed rule for Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017 for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for public comment. Access this proposed rule hereexternal icon.
- 03/25/2015 – ONC released the proposed rule for 2015 Edition Health IT Certification Criteria for public comment. Access this proposed rule hereexternal icon.
- 03/25/2015 – CMS released the proposed rule for Stage 3 for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for public comment. Access this proposed rule here.
- 03/25/2015 – CMS published several new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the Meaningful Use public health objectives. Find these new FAQs here.
- 10/16/2014 – Coming Up! Special Webinar on “2014 Ebola Response in U.S.- Using Travel History within Clinical Workflow”. Find out more here.
- 09/11/2014 – New ONC Final Rule for the 2014 Edition Release 2 EHR Certification Criteria (2014 Edition Release 2) and the ONC HIT Certification Program. Find the new Final Rule here pdf icon[PDF – 557KB]external icon.
- 09/09/2014 – New CMS Final Rule allows flexibility in certified EHR technology (CEHRT) for 2014 for providers who are unable to fully implement 2014 Edition CEHRT in 2014 due to delays in CEHRT availability. Find the new Final Rule here pdf icon[PDF – 424KB]external icon.
- 08/08/2014 – North Carolina Division of Public Health shares the User Guide for their MU Registration of Intent web portal. Find the guide here.
05/27/2014 – Stage 2 MU Public Health Reporting Requirements Task Force members have shared example templates for MU related communications between PHAs and MU eligible providers. Find these templates here. pdf icon[PDF – 325 KB]
(Note: Templates updated 12/16/2014)
- 04/21/2014 – North Carolina and Pennsylvania public health agencies have shared tools used to support onboarding of hospitals for the MU Stage 2 Reportable Lab Results objective. Find these tools here.
- 03/27/2014 – MU Stage 2 Public Health Readiness – The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) has compiled a list of state specific Stage 2 Public Health reporting readiness based on information from public health agency websites. Access the APHL list hereexternal icon.
- 03/21/2014 – CMS filed information collection notice for the Public Health MU Readiness Registry. Comments are due by April 8. Read the notice and instructions for commenting here.pdf icon[PDF – 195KB]external icon
- 03/06/2014 – Are you looking for the Guides/Artifacts Proposed for the Public Health objectives in the Voluntary 2015 Edition EHR Certification? Please click here.
- 02/26/2014 – The Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) published the Voluntary 2015 Edition EHR Certification Criteria (“2015 Edition”) Proposed Rule in the Federal Register on February 26, 2014. ONC will accept comments on the proposed rule through April 28, 2014.
- 02/26/2014 – ONC recently developed two artifacts providing a basic overview of the Stage 2 Public Health Objectives for eligible providers and hospitals. EP Leave Behindpdf icon[PDF – 1.2MB] EH Leave Behindpdf icon[PDF – 1.7MB]
- 02/12/2014 – Interoperability and Public Health – A new Meaningful Use related online training course offered by ONC. Access the course here.external icon
- 02/14/2014 – New Meaningful Use Data & Tools For Your Use. Click here for more details.
- 2013/04/01 – PHIN Messaging Guide For Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department, Urgent Care And Inpatient Settings, Release 1.9 (April 2013) is now available on the CDC Meaningful Use Syndromic Survelliance Website
2012/12/19 – CDC Virtual Event
“Electronic Health Records Meaningful Use & Public Health” Virtual Event Content:
2012/11/19 – ONC and CMS are both requesting public comments. You can now review and respond to Stage 3 MU recommendations and potential Clinical Quality Measures here:
- Stage 3 MU Recommendations RFCexternal icon Deadline is Jan 14, 2013
- Stage 3 Clinical Quality Measures RFCexternal icon Deadline is Dec 17, 2012
2012/09/04 – The Stage 2 Meaningful Use Final Rules released by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) were posted in the Federal Register on Sept 4th, 2012. The regulations can be found at:
CMS Stage 2 MU Final Ruleexternal icon; ONC Stage 2 MU Final ruleexternal icon
- 2012/06/06 – ISDS is pleased to announce the release of our Revised Guidelines for Syndromic Surveillance Using Inpatient and Ambulatory Clinical Care EHR Data, which are open for comment now through July 3, 2012. More >>
- 2012/03/08 – The International Society for Disease Surveillance (ISDS) released “Draft Guidelines for Syndromic Surveillance Using Inpatient and Ambulatory Clinical Care EHR Data.” ISDS is requesting feedback on these Draft Guidelines from March 6, 2012 to April 2, 2012. More >>
- 2012/02/14 – ONC releases proposed Standards, Implementation Specifications and Certification Criteria for Stage 2 Meaningful Use for public commentexternal icon
- 2012/02/23 – CMS releases Stage 2 Meaningful Use Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) for Public Commentexternal icon
- 2012/01/23 – The CDC and several partner organizations have established a Meaningful Use Public Health Technical Assistance team. To request assistance from this team, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for Technical Assistance” in the Subject line.
- 2011/12/06 – CMS Releases Online Tool To Help Guide Meaningful Use Effortspdf icon[PDF – 2.4MB]external icon CMS has launched a Web-based interactive resource to help eligible health care providers and professionals understand the Medicare portion of the meaningful use incentive payment program. The tool includes eligibility and registration information.
- 2011/10/11 – PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department and Urgent Care Data has been approved and released and can be found on the CDC Meaningful Use Website at https://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/Syndromic.html
- 2011/08/20 – The HITRC portalexternal icon is a single stop for current information related to the Public Health Meaningful Use Nationwide Call and includes call in information, presentations, and other related documents.
- 2011/08/09 – Both CDC and ONC participate in the Standards and Interoperability Public Health Reporting Initiative.
- 2011 August 21 – 24 – PHI Conference hosted many Meaningful Use sessions.
- 2011/07/01 – The Reportable Condition Mapping Tables have been released.
- 2011/06/10 – Meaningful Use: EHs & CAHs Important Deadline – Coming Uppdf icon[PDF – 17KB]
- 2011/05/31 – CDC has made links available to the Jurisdiction Meaningful Use websites for your convenience.
- 2011/03/22 – – Direct Project gets wide support for simple exchangeexternal icon Government Health IT
- 2011/03/22 – Group will expand on ONC’s Connect tools for exchangeexternal icon Government Health IT
- 2011/03/22 – CMS Adds, Updates FAQs on Meaningful Use Incentive Programsexternal icon iHealthBeat
- 2010/08/05 – Meaningful Use” Regulation for Electronic Health Records (Blumenthal)external icon
- 2010/08/05 – Finding My Way to Electronic Health Recordsexternal icon
|Date||Presentation Title||Presenter Title &
|02/01/2016||Zika Virus Update for Clinical Decision Support/EHR Developers||Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH
Dana Meaney-Delman, MD, MPH, FACOG
Floyd Eisenberg, MD
Sundak Ganesan, MD
Panelist: Jim Daniel MPH
|Special Session 1 pdf icon[PDF – 753 KB]|
|02/17/2016||Zika Virus Disease Update for EHR Vendors, other Health Information Technology Developers, Public Health, and Clinical Healthcare Partners.||2016-02-17 TTP-UMC_Zika_Final.pdf pdf icon[PDF – 1MB]|
|03/23/2016||Zika Virus Disease Update for EHR Vendors, other Health Information Technology Developers, Public Health, and Clinical Healthcare Partners.||
Zika_Special_Session_3 pdf icon[PDF 1.44MB]
Value Set And Links Draft pdf icon[PDF – 242KB]
Zika Virus Algorithm Draft alternate v13 pdf icon[PDF – 389KB]
|04/27/2016||Zika Virus Disease Update for EHR Vendors, other Health Information Technology Developers, Public Health, and Clinical Healthcare Partners.||
Presentation pdf icon[PDF – 2.1MB]
Zika Informational links document pdf icon[PDF – 118KB]
|08/03/2016||CDC and ONC Teams in collaboration with partners from The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (COG) and Office of Population Affairs (OPA)||Presentation pdf icon[PDF – 1MB]|
|09/14/2016||Floyd Eisenberg, ONC (Contractor) and Jim Daniel, ONC||Presentation pdf icon[PDF – 1.2MB]|
|11/02/2016||Zika Virus Disease Update for EHR Vendors, other Health Information Technology Developers, Public Health, and Clinical Healthcare Partners||Floyd Eisenberg, ONC (Contractor) and Jim Daniel, ONC.
Riki Merrick, MPH, Lead Terminologist, Informatics Program Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL), and
Margaret Lampe, RN, MPH, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention| Epidemiology Branch