Research & Activities
What else is CDC doing?
The prescribing guideline is just one of the strategies to reduce the number of people who suffer from opioid use disorder or overdose related to these drugs. Other efforts include:
- Enhancing and maximizing the use of PDMPs
- Helping states develop enhanced surveillance and scale up effective programs through:
- Prevention for States: To provide state health departments with resources and support needed to advance interventions for preventing prescription drug overdoses.
- Enhanced State Opioid Overdose Surveillance: To improve prevention and response efforts by providing more timely data on fatal and nonfatal opioid overdoses and in-depth information on risk factors.
- Data-Driven Prevention Initiative: To help states advance and evaluate their actions to address opioid misuse, abuse, and overdose.
- Conducting policy evaluations
- Developing and implementing Rapid Response Projects
- Improving data quality and tracking trends to monitor the epidemic