SUDORS Dashboard: Fatal Overdose Data
Updated December 8, 2022
The drug overdose death data presented below come from the CDC’s State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS). SUDORS provides comprehensive data on unintentional and undetermined intent drug overdose deaths collected from death certificates and medical examiner/coroner reports (including scene findings, autopsy reports, and full postmortem toxicology findings). Data presented here include annual counts, percentages, and rates of drug overdose deaths per 100,000 persons.
- Download a dataset with all available counts, percentages, and rates overall and by jurisdiction.
- Please see the “Important Data Considerations” section for further details on which jurisdictions are included in this dashboard and other important data considerations.
- Read more about SUDORS.
- See the Accessible Version of this dashboard.
View data: Click on the box labeled “View data for” to select from a drop-down list of options. For each year, data can be viewed overall or by jurisdiction. Included jurisdictions may differ between years.
- These drop-down lists are available in each section of the dashboard.
- Selecting a jurisdiction from the drop-down list filters all data in the dashboard to the selected jurisdiction. Selecting a year from the drop-down list filters all data in the dashboard to the selected year. If both a jurisdiction and a year are selected, all data in the dashboard will be filtered to the selected jurisdiction and year.
- The dashboard can also be filtered by jurisdiction by clicking on a specific jurisdiction’s bar in the graph titled “Rate of overdose deaths by state and drug or drug class”. Click the bar again to un-filter the dashboard.
Data Summary at a Glance:
- Click on “deaths by quarter” to jump to monthly trends in overdose deaths
- Click on “potential opportunity for intervention” to jump to complete data on potential opportunities for intervention.
Drug selection in the graph titled “Rates of overdose deaths by state and drug or drug class”: Click on the box with a specific drug or drug class to change the graph to show rate of overdose deaths that involved the selected drug or drug class. Only this graph will responsively adjust to your selection.
Metric selection in section titled “Who died of a drug overdose”: Select one of the radio buttons to view rates per 100,000 persons or percentages in the by sex, by race/ethnicity, by age, and by age and sex graphs. Only these four graphs will responsively adjust to your selection.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS). Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; [INSERT YEAR, MONTH, DAY]. Access at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/fatal/dashboard