SUDORS Dashboard: Fatal Overdose Data
Updated August 25, 2023
The drug overdose death data presented below come from the CDC’s State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS). SUDORS provides comprehensive data on unintentional and undetermined intent drug overdose deaths collected from death certificates and medical examiner/coroner reports (including scene findings, autopsy reports, and full postmortem toxicology findings).
- View final SUDORS data and download a dataset with annual counts, percentages, and rates (per 100,000 persons) overall and by jurisdiction. Please see the “Important Data Considerations” section on the final data page for further details on which jurisdictions are included in this dashboard and other important data considerations.
- View preliminary SUDORS data count and percentage estimates for the most recent SUDORS reporting period(s). Please see the “Important Data Considerations” section on the preliminary data page for a description of preliminary data and other important data considerations.
- Read more about SUDORS.
- See the Accessible Version of this dashboard.
Data page selection: The dashboard defaults to the final data page. Click on “View Preliminary Data” to toggle to the preliminary version of the dashboard. While on the preliminary data page, click on “View Final Data” to toggle back to the final data page.
Final Data Page
View data: Click on the box labeled “View data for” to select from a drop-down list of options. For each year, data can be viewed overall or by jurisdiction. Included jurisdictions may differ between years.
- These drop-down lists are available in each section of the dashboard.
- Selecting a jurisdiction from the drop-down list filters all data in the dashboard to the selected jurisdiction. Selecting a year from the drop-down list filters all data in the dashboard to the selected year. If both a jurisdiction and a year are selected, all data in the dashboard will be filtered to the selected jurisdiction and year.
- The dashboard can also be filtered by jurisdiction by clicking on a specific jurisdiction’s bar in the graph titled “Rate of overdose deaths by state and drug or drug class.” Click the bar again to un-filter the dashboard.
Data Summary at a Glance:
- Click on “deaths by quarter” to jump to monthly trends in overdose deaths.
- Click on “potential opportunity for intervention” to jump to complete data on potential opportunities for intervention.
Drug selection in the graph titled “Rates of overdose deaths by state and drug or drug class”: Click on the box with a specific drug or drug class to change the graph to show the rate of overdose deaths that involved the selected drug or drug class. Only this graph will responsively adjust to your selection.
Metric selection in section titled “Who died of a drug overdose”: Select one of the radio buttons to view rates per 100,000 persons or percentages in the graphs by sex, by race/ethnicity, by age, and by age and sex. Only these four graphs will responsively adjust to your selection.
Preliminary Data Page
On the preliminary dashboard page, only overall data are available for the most recent reporting period(s). Individual jurisdictions or years cannot be selected for preliminary data. Hover over each data point to view the 95% confidence interval for the percentage.
Suggested citation for final data:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS). Final Data. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; [INSERT YEAR, MONTH, DAY]. Access at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/fatal/dashboard
Suggested citation for preliminary data:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS). Preliminary Data. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; [INSERT YEAR, MONTH, DAY]. Access at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/fatal/dashboard