Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative
In 2009, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition, established a prevention collaborative of motivated outpatient dialysis facilities.
The goal of CDC’s Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative was to work together to prevent bloodstream infections (BSIs) in hemodialysis and spur a broader interest in preventing infections among the dialysis community.
The prevention collaborative consisted of freestanding and hospital-based outpatient dialysis facilities across the country. Participating facilities measure BSIs using the dialysis event surveillance module in CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN), and are creating and implementing a package of evidence-based practices to prevent these infections.
In an effort to decrease rates of bloodstream infections among hemodialysis patients, the Prevention Collaborative developed the Core Interventions and steps to prevent infections in patients.
- Introduction to the CDC Collaborative pdf icon[PFD – 348 KB]
- Core Interventions for CDC’s Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative pdf icon[PDF – 289 KB]
- The Collaborative Approach to Prevention of Bloodstream Infections in Dialysis Factsheet pdf icon[PDF – 84 KB]
The Steering Committee members recognized below served as an integral part of the CDC Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative. The members lead infection prevention efforts in the dialysis community. We thank you for all of your contributions.
Former Steering Committee Members:
- Stephanie Booth, A.H.A., C.C.H.T., Portage Health Dialysis, Hancock, MI
- Virginia Bren, M.P.H., R.N., C.I.C., Altru Health System, Grand Forks, ND
- Gemma Downham, M.P.H., C.I.C., AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Atlantic City, NJ
- Sally Hess, C.I.C., M.P.H., Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT
- Karen Kelley, M.H.A., B.S.N., R.N., C.N.N., Portage Health Dialysis, Hancock, MI
- Mary Lincoln, B.S.N., M.H.A., Mercy Dialysis Center, Clinton, IA
- Curt Lindberg, M.H.A., DMan., Billings Clinic, Billings, MT
- Heather Weirich, B.S.N., R.N., Independent Dialysis Foundation, Baltimore, MD