New Beginnings: A Discussion Guide for Living Well with Diabetes
New Beginnings: A Discussion Guide for Living Well with Diabetes helps diabetes support group leaders facilitate discussions about the emotional aspects of living with diabetes. It uses stories about African Americans with diabetes to help identify family and social support needs and develop skills to address them. New Beginnings can be used to supplement diabetes self-management education sessions and in diabetes support groups.
New Beginnings Guide
The discussion guide contains tools and questions to lead a small group discussion with people who have diabetes and their family members. It has eight modules and tips and a session plan template.
New Beginnings Mini-Lessons
Adapted from “Module 6—Problem Solving and Emergency Preparedness,” of the New Beginnings Guide, this mini-lesson focuses on helping people with diabetes prepare for a disaster or emergency.
Getting Ready for Your Health Care Visit
Adapted from “Module 8—Working with Your Doctor,” of the New Beginnings Guide, this mini-lesson focuses on helping people with diabetes get ready for visits with their health care team. It includes a short video, discussion, and activity.
Infographic: Five Questions to Ask Your Health Care Team about Managing Your Type 2 Diabetes
Worksheets and Forms
Use the New Beginnings worksheets with group participants, and use the forms to keep track of administrative tasks.
- New Beginnings Session Plan Template [WORD-30.9KB]
- Making a Plan Worksheet [PDF-40.7KB]
- Healthy Coping Strategies Worksheet [PDF-20.7KB]
- Be Your Own Best Friend Worksheet [PDF-31.3KB]
- Problem-Solving Plan Worksheet [PDF-21.5KB]
- How Can I Help Worksheet [PDF-18.1KB]
- Learn About Diabetes Together [PDF-25.8KB]
- Team Roster Worksheet [PDF-23KB]
- New Beginnings Session Tracking Form [WORD-38.4KB]
- New Beginnings Participant Satisfaction Form [WORD-27.5KB]
The New Beginnings handouts are great for giving participants information they can use outside of group sessions.
- Tips to Help You Stay Healthy With Diabetes: English [PDF – 161 KB] Spanish [PDF – 156K]
- Taking Care of Yourself When You are Sick [PDF-71.3KB]
- Record for Sick Days [PDF-42.5KB]
- Managing Your Diabetes at Work, School, and During Travel [PDF-87.5KB]
- Having Problems with Low Blood Glucose [PDF-100KB]
- Having Problems with High Blood Glucose [PDF-164KB]
- When There’s an Emergency or Natural Disaster [PDF-36.3KB]
- Stressful Situations Activities 1 & 2 [PDF-169KB]
Webinar: Diabetes, Distress, and Depression: Incorporating the Emotional Side of Diabetes in Clinical Care
Managing the Emotional Impact of Diabetes Audio Program
This audio program includes three introductory modules for group leaders using New Beginnings:A Discussion Guide for Living Well With Diabetes including:
- The emotional impact of diabetes (Transcript[PDF-283KB])
- The role of family and social support in diabetes self-management (Transcript [PDF-355KB])
- Cultural considerations when addressing psychosocial and family support issues among people with diabetes (Transcript [PDF-342KB])
This program has been approved for CNE, CEU, and CECH credit through CDC Training Finder Real-time Affiliate Integrated Network (TRAIN). Visit the TRAIN registration page for more information about continuing education.
- Page last reviewed: August 16, 2017
- Page last updated: August 16, 2017
- Content source:
- Maintained By: