New Diabetes Resources
CDC and its partners have developed several tools to help employers, insurers, health care providers, and states assess the effect of diabetes on their communities and populations of interest. These tools can be used to calculate the economic costs of the disease, evaluate the benefits of implementing the National DPP, and review existing policies related to education and management of diabetes.
Diabetes Prevention Impact Toolkit
CDC developed the Diabetes Prevention Impact Toolkit to help employers, insurers, providers, and state health departments estimate the health and economic effects of offering the National DPP lifestyle change program to populations at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.12
Health Insurance Coverage Laws for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Training
The interactive Health Insurance Coverage Laws for Diabetes Self-Management and Trainingexternal icon website summarizes information about US public and private insurance policies that require diabetes self-management education and training (DSME/T) for patients with diabetes. The website includes fact sheets about each state’s insurance coverage for DSME/T.13
Diabetes State Burden Toolkit
The Diabetes State Burden Toolkit provides state estimates of diabetes burden (prevalence, incidence, and related conditions), economic costs, and deaths. It also presents data about diabetes-related complications; healthy life years lost; and costs related to medical care, absence from work, and lost household productivity.14
National Diabetes Prevention Program Coverage Toolkit
The National Diabetes Prevention Program Coverage Toolkitexternal icon was developed to support Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and commercial health plans that are considering covering or implementing the National DPP lifestyle change program.15
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Division of Diabetes Translation website. Reports to Congress. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/reports/congress.html. Accessed September 20, 2017.
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2009. L No. 111-148,external icon Title X, Sec 10407, 42 USC 247b-9a.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2017.
- Rutledge SA, Masalovich S, Blacher RJ, Saunders MM. Diabetes self-management education programs in nonmetropolitan counties — United States, 2016.external icon MMWR Surveill Summ. 2017;66(10):1–6.
- Beckles GL, Chou C. Disparities in the prevalence of diagnosed diabetes — United States, 1999–2002 and 2011–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(45):1265–1269.
- Luo H, Beckles GL, Zhang X, Sotnikov S, Thompson T, Bardenheier B. The relationship between county-level contextual characteristics and use of diabetes care services. pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB] J Public Health Manag Pract. 2014;20(4):401–410.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2020 website. Social Determinants of Health. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-healthexternal icon. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Dabelea D, Mayer-Davis EJ, Saydah S, et al. Prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among children and adolescents from 2001 to 2009. JAMA. 2014;311(17):1778–1786.
- Mayer-Davis EJ, Lawrence JM, Dabelea D, et al. Incidence trends of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths, 2002–2012. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1419–1429.
- Saydah S, Imperatore G, Cheng Y, Geiss LS, Albright A. Disparities in diabetes deaths among children and adolescents — United States, 2000–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:502–505.
- Powers MA, Bardsley J, Cypress M, et al. Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes: a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.external icon J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015;115(8):1323–1334.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes Prevention Impact Toolkit website. https://nccd.cdc.gov/Toolkit/DiabetesImpact. Accessed May 25, 2017.
- The Policy Surveillance Program and ChangeLab Solutions. Health Insurance Coverage Laws for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Training website. http://lawatlas.org/datasets/diabetes-self-management-education-lawsexternal icon. Accessed May 25, 2017.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes State Burden Toolkit website. https://nccd.cdc.gov/Toolkit/DiabetesBurdenexternal icon. Accessed May 25, 2017.
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors. National Diabetes Prevention Program Coverage Toolkit website. http://www.nationaldppcoveragetoolkit.org/external icon. Accessed July 13, 2017.