National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2020
Estimates of Diabetes and Its Burden in the United States
Print friendly version available here National Diabetes Statistics Report pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
Spanish print friendly version also available Informe Nacional de Estadísticas de la Diabetes pdf icon[PDF – 873 KB]
The National Diabetes Statistics Report, a periodic publication of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), provides information on the prevalence and incidence of diabetes and prediabetes, risk factors for complications, acute and long-term complications, deaths, and costs.
These data can help focus efforts to prevent and control diabetes across the United States. This document is an update of the 2017 National Diabetes Statistics Report and is intended for a scientific audience.
Information about the methods is available here.
Fast Facts on Diabetes
- Total: 34.2 million people have diabetes (10.5% of the US population)
- Diagnosed: 26.9 million people, including 26.8 million adults
- Undiagnosed: 7.3 million people (21.4% are undiagnosed)
- Total: 88 million people aged 18 years or older have prediabetes (34.5% of the adult US population)
- 65 years or older: 24.2 million people aged 65 years or older have prediabetes
The following organizations collaborated on the content of this report:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Diabetes Translation
- Indian Health Service, Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- American Diabetes Association
- National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics
- Divers J, Mayer-Davis EJ, Lawrence JM, et al. Trends in Incidence of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Among Youths— Selected Counties and Indian Reservations, United States, 2002–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020 Feb 14;69(6):161–165.
- Su X, Kong Y, Peng D. Evidence for changing lipid management strategy to focus on non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol. Lipids Health Dis. 2019 Jun 7;18(1):134.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2019. Diabetes Care. 2019 Jan 1; 42 (Supplement 1).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. Underlying Cause of Death 1999–2017 on CDC WONDER Online Database, 2018. Accessed at http://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html on Oct 10, 2019.
- American Diabetes Association. Economic costs of diabetes in the US in 2017. Diabetes Care. 2018 May;41(5):917–928.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2020. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services; 2020.