State and Local Public Health Actions Resources
Access program and evaluation guides, watch videos, and get tips and strategies for planning and implementing heart disease and stroke prevention programs in your community, tribe, or state.
- Advancing Team-Based Care Through Collaborative Practice Agreements: A Resource and Implementation Guide for Adding Pharmacists to the Care Team [PDF-3.9M]
This guide is a resource for pharmacists to use in developing and executing collaborative practice agreements to advance team-based care.
- Using the Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process to Manage High Blood Pressure: A Resource Guide for Pharmacists [PDF-633K]
This guide is a call to action for pharmacists to help prevent and manage high blood pressure through team-based care.
- Community-Clinical Linkages for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control: A Practitioner’s Guide [PDF-7M]
This document guides public health practitioners on key strategies to implement community-clinical linkages that focus on adults.
- Methods and Resources for Engaging Pharmacy Partners [PDF-765K]
This guide provides public health departments with methods and resources they can use to engage pharmacy partners to enhance team-based care and form community-clinical links that result in improved population health.
- Technical Assistance Guide: States Implementing Community Health Worker Strategies [PDF-515K]
This resource serves as a support tool for funded state partners who are implementing community health worker (CHW) strategies in health systems and community-clinical linkages.
- A Program Guide for Public Health: Partnering with Pharmacists in the Prevention and Control of Chronic Diseases [PDF-398K]
This guide provides approaches and strategies for public health professionals working with pharmacists.
- Guide to Facilitating Health Systems Change
This guide includes samples of tools that states have developed to assist with program planning, implementation, and evaluation activities within the health care system. The tools provided at the end of each section can be altered or augmented to meet organizational and partner needs.
- Taking Action for Heart-healthy and Stroke-free States: A Communication Guide for Policy and Environmental Change
This guide was developed to help you reduce the disabling, costly, and growing national tragedy of heart disease and stroke. This document contains information regarding statins. For more information, see FDA’s advice on statin risks.
- Strategies for States to Address the “ABCS” of Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention [PDF-325K]
This document outlines priority strategies for states to use to address the “ABCs” of heart disease and stroke prevention.
- State Program Evaluation Guides
CDC developed a series of evaluation technical assistance tools to clarify approaches to and methods of evaluation, provide examples, and recommend resources for additional reading.
- Evaluation Spotlights and Strategies: Indicator Spotlights
Indicator spotlights give funded programs a list of potential indicators to explore for planning and evaluation.
- Program Evaluation Tip Sheets
These brief tip sheets illustrate a variety of evaluation steps and events.
- Coffee Breaks: Webinar Series
CDC’s monthly Coffee Break webinar series offers 20-minute mini-trainings focused on knowledge translation tools and evaluation basics for chronic disease programs.
- Five-Part Webcast on Economic Evaluation for States
This webcast series explains the value of economic evaluation and how to incorporate these methods into public health programs.
Tools and Strategies
- Undiagnosed Hypertension [PDF-5.0M]
This issue highlights the lessons learned and describes case studies from the efforts of the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) and CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (DHDSP) to support the Million Hearts® focus of identifying people with undiagnosed—and therefore untreated—hypertension.
- Hypertension: Detect, Connect, Control
This 2013 CDC Public Health Grand Rounds focused on clinical and public health approaches to better identify, treat, and control high blood pressure.
- Blood Pressure Control: Helping Patients Take Their Medicine
This 2016 CDC Vital Signs focuses on strategies for health professionals to help their patients take their blood pressure medication as directed.
- Disparities in Antihypertensive Medication Nonadherence Among Medicare Part D Beneficiaries—United States, 2014 (September 2016, CDC, MMWR)
- States Implementing Community Health Worker Strategies [PDF-515K]
This resource serves as a support tool for implementing CHW strategies in health systems and community-clinical linkages.
- Evaluation Spotlight and Strategies: Field Notes
Field notes share examples of different approaches used in the field by colleagues working at the state, local, and community levels to prevent and manage chronic disease.
- Roadmap for State Planning: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a training and information resource for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including what to do and how to do it.
- Chronic Disease Cost Calculator
This downloadable tool helps states estimate the burden and financial impact of chronic diseases among their Medicaid beneficiaries.
- How the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Supports Community Health Workers in Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion [PDF-274K]
This resource provides basic information on CHWs, including how they support the priority domains of CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP), a list of funded partners engaged in CHW strategies, and NCCDPHP products about and for CHWs.
- A Community Health Worker Training Resource for Preventing Heart Disease and Stroke
This resource is a reference for CHWs and a curriculum that health educators, nurses, and other instructors can use to train CHWs.
- Promoting Policy and Systems Change to Expand Employment of Community Health Workers (CHWs)
This six-session online course provides state programs and other stakeholders with basic knowledge about CHWs, such as official definitions of CHWs, workforce development, and other topic areas.
- Addressing Chronic Disease through Community Health Workers: A Policy and Systems-Level Approach [PDF-1.1M]
This resource demonstrates the value and impact of CHWs in preventing and managing a variety of chronic diseases. It also includes descriptions of chronic disease programs that are engaging CHWs, examples of state legislative action, and resources to build an integrated and sustainable CHW workforce.
- National Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program Staff Orientation Guide [PDF-953K]
This staff orientation guide is designed to provide an overview of CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention and its branches, programs, and goals.
- Science-in-Briefs: Turning Science Into Action
These briefs provide short synopses of newly published articles, summaries of article findings, and how findings might be applied to cardiovascular health promotion.
- The Four Domains of Chronic Disease Prevention Fact Sheet [PDF-965K]
This fact sheet outlines the four key domains in which to coordinate chronic disease prevention program efforts.
Trainings and Webinars
CDC/NACDD Fireside Chats
CDC and the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) created these webinars to support the Million Hearts® focus of identifying people with undiagnosed hypertension.
- Fireside Chat on Addressing Health Disparities in Hypertension Control
- Fireside Chat on Team-Based Approaches to Controlling Hypertension
- Fireside Chat on Identifying Undiagnosed Hypertension
Health Payer 101 Webinar Series
NACDD and CDC’s DHDSP created this webinar series in May/June 2016.
- The Basics, Part 1 (recording): Overview of health insurance products and plans; managed care organization structure and services.
- The Basics, Part 2 (recording): Insurance: employer, individual, Medicaid, and Medicare; Reimbursement models: fee-for-service and bundled payment; Incentives: pay-for-performance (P4P) and shared savings. Slides [PDF-2.1MB]
- Setting the Table Proactively, Part 3 (recording): Data: Where it comes from and how it is used; how states are working with payers. Slides [PDF-675K]
- Contracting 101, Part 4 (recording): Network development: individual contracts, accountable care organizations, and independent physician associations; Provisions of a provider contract; Provider and payer relationship building. Slides [PDF-960K]
- Page last reviewed: February 9, 2018
- Page last updated: February 9, 2018
- Content source: