CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay
New! FAQ for RT-PCR kit
The CDC Real Time RT-PCR Assay for Dengue Diagnosis
Dengue is one of the most common causes of fever in travelers returning from South East Asia, South Central Asia, and the Caribbean and Latin America. Dengue virus (DENV) infection can be divided into two phases: acute and convalescent. The acute phase begins with the onset of symptoms and lasts approximately 5 days. The convalescent phase begins once the fever subsides and lasts 4 to 7 days.
Patients with dengue usually have symptoms when DENV is present in the blood. Virus levels in the blood are usually higher during the first 5 days of the illness. The CDC Real Time RT-PCR assay detects DENV in a significantly high proportion of cases during this time, very early after the onset of symptoms of dengue. This is important because an early laboratory confirmation of a dengue diagnosis helps physicians managing the case.
The CDC developed this assay using the Applied Biosystems (ABI) 7500 Fast Dx Real-Time PCR Instrument, used for influenza testing. This equipment was distributed by CDC to over 100 US and international public health laboratories, as part of the response to the H1N1 epidemic. CDC adapted their dengue RT-PCR test to take advantage of this widely used testing platform in order to facilitate the use of molecular testing for dengue diagnosis.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay is the first nucleic acid diagnostic device for detection and typing of DENV nucleic acid in suspected, symptomatic cases approved by the FDA for use in the United States. This assay detects DENV serotypes 1, 2, 3 or 4 from human serum or plasma collected from human patients with signs and symptoms consistent with dengue infection. The assay is intended to be used as a diagnostic test in patients and is not approved for blood bank screening.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay includes:
- Oligonucleotide primers and dual-labeled hydrolysis (Taqman®) probes for in vitro qualitative detection of dengue virus serotypes 1, 2, 3 or 4 from serum or plasma collected from human patients with signs and symptoms consistent with dengue (mild or severe).
- Positive control virus mix, which consists of heat-inactivated DENV-1 Haw, DENV-2 NGC, DENV-3 H87, and DENV-4 H241.
- Human Specimen Control (HSC) is a noninfectious cultured human cell material that provides a positive signal in the assay and demonstrates successful recovery of RNA as well as the integrity of the RNA extraction reagent.
The human RNase P RNA (RP) is present in cultured cell material and in most clinical samples and detectable by RT-PCR using the primers and probes provided. The device does not include ancillary reagents.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay can be run in singleplex (each DENV serotype detected in a separate reaction) or in multiplex (the four DENV serotypes are run in the same reaction). These two formats provide equal sensitivity.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay is intended for use on an Applied Biosystems (ABI) 7500 Fast Dx Real-Time PCR Instrument:
- For the diagnosis of dengue in serum or plasma collected from patients with signs and symptoms consistent with dengue (mild or severe);
- For the identification of dengue virus serotypes 1, 2, 3 or 4 from viral RNA in serum or plasma (sodium citrate) collected from human patients with dengue;
- To provide epidemiologic information for surveillance of circulating dengue viruses.
- Testing of clinical blood specimens (serum or plasma) with the CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay should not be performed unless the patient meets clinical and/or epidemiologic criteria for testing suspect dengue cases.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay is not approved for the screening of blood or plasma donors.
Positive results on the CDC DENV-1-4 Real Time RT-PCR Assay indicate current dengue infection. Blood samples from patients suspected of having dengue taken 1-5 days after fever onset should be tested with this device. Negative results obtained with this test do not preclude the diagnosis of dengue and should not be used as the sole basis for treatment or other patient management decisions. If RT-PCR results are negative, anti-DENV IgM testing should be considered (E.g. Inbios DENV Detect IgM Capture ELISA). If the blood sample is taken from a patient 5 or more days after the onset of symptoms, laboratory diagnosis is best made using a test for IgM antibody to DENV.
The CDC DENV-1-4 Real Time RT-PCR Assay will be distributed to laboratories with personnel who have training and experience in standardized molecular diagnostic testing procedures and viral diagnosis, and appropriate biosafety equipment and containment.
Information on the CDC DENV-1-4 Real Time RT-PCR Assay for Laboratories in the United States
- Box 1: Detection Kit (Primer and Probe Sets)
- Box 2: Positive Control Kit (A mix of heat inactivated DENV-1, -2, -3 and -4 standards)
- Box 3: Human Specimen Extraction Control (HSC)
Materials Required (But Not Provided)
The following is a list of ancillary reagents that are not supplied with the CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay. The Invitrogen and Roche products are included in CDC’s reagent qualification program.
Invitrogen SuperScript™ III Platinum® reactions One-Step Quantitative RT-PCR System (without Rox)*
Quantity – 100 reactions
Catalog No: 11732-020
Quantity – 500 reactions
Catalog No: 11732-088
Qiagen QIAamp® DSP Viral RNA Mini Kit and Qiagen QIAcube Instrument**
Quantity – 50 Extractions
Catalog No: 61904 and 9001292
Roche MagNA Pure LC total Nucleic Acid Isolation Kit *
Quantity – 192 Extractions
Catalog No: 03 038 505 001
*The CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay test performance requires that only qualified ancillary reagent lots be used with the device in the United States. Any lots not specifically qualified by the CDC-Dengue Branch for use with the CDC DENV-1-4 Real-Time RT-PCR Assay are not valid for use with this device, and may affect device performance.
** Qiagen QIAamp® DSP Viral RNA Mini Kit (Cat # 61904) is produced under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). These RNA extraction kits can be used manually or in combination with the QIAcube Instrument (Cat # 9001292).
Other consumables and minor equipment are required as specified in the package insert of the CDC DENV-1-4 Real Time RT-PCR Assay.
For technical and product support and to obtain the CDC DENV-1-4 RT-PCR and a list of qualified ancillary reagents, please contact the CDC Dengue Branch support team directly.
For Technical Support send email to: DenguePCRSupport@cdc.gov
For Ordering send email to: DenguePCROrdering@cdc.gov
Include the following information in your message:
- Laboratory name and address
- Qualified contact person
- Phone number
- Email address
- Shipping address