Public Health Workforce Development Approaches
DSEPD sponsors multiple approaches that impact people, tools, and systems for strengthening the workforce to improve the public’s health.
DSEPD's workforce endeavors support public health and health care collaboration in ways that will improve the health of individuals, communities, and populations.
DSEPD’s strategic framework outlines the approach for achieving our vision through four goals: quality learning, valuable service, national leadership, and organizational capacity. The framework sets the stage for planning and decision-making and guides implementation and evaluation of priority activities.
DSEPD supports national efforts to understand, produce, and disseminate evidence on public health workforce development.
Summit presentations highlight changes in public health and their effects on the public health workforce. The summit report (641KB) presents key priorities and action items identified during participant discussions at the summit.
DSEPD’s unified logic model shows activities and intended outcomes of our workforce development programs. It depicts four key areas of work and how they contribute to shared outcomes.
- A Novel Approach for Workforce Surveillance at the US Department of Health and Human Services Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, October 2019.
- Understanding the Dynamics of Diversity in the Public Health Workforce Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, October 2019.
- The state of the US Governmental Public Health Workforce American Journal of Public Health, May 2019.
- Public Health Workforce 3.0: Recent Progress and What’s on the Horizon to Achieve the 21st-Century Workforce Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, March/April 2019.
- Reconciling Supply and Demand for State and Local Public Health Staff in an Era of Retiring Baby Boomers American Journal of Preventive Medicine, March 2018.
- Succession Planning in State Health Agencies in the United States: A Brief Report Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, November 2017.
- Examining State Health Agency Epidemiologists and Their Training Needs Annals of Epidemiology, February 2017.
- Public Health Workforce Taxonomy American Journal of Preventive Medicine, November 2014.
- Enumeration of the Governmental Public Health Workforce American Journal of Preventive Medicine, November 2014.