08/09/2021: Lab Advisory: SARS-CoV-2 Variant Classification Updates
Audience: Individuals Performing COVID-19 Testing
Level: Laboratory Advisory
On August 3, 2021, CDC began reporting the proportions for each of the lineages that are collectively designated as the Delta variant. These include B.1.617.2, AY.1, AY.2, and AY.3. Prior to August 3, CDC aggregated the proportions of the sub-lineages AY.1, AY.2, and AY.3 with B.1.617.2, which is the parental Delta lineage.
CDC and the World Health Organization classify the parental lineage (B.1.617.2) and all three sub-lineages (AY.1, AY.2, and AY.3) as Variants of Concern.
Please share this message with your networks and invite them to opt in to LOCS to receive future updates.
- Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Laboratories
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Calls
- If you are a clinical or public health laboratory professional, contact LOCS.
- For media inquiries, contact the CDC Newsroom.
- For all other questions, contact CDC-INFO.