06/15/2021: Lab Advisory: CDC Classifies SARS-CoV-2 Variant B.1.617.2 (Delta) a Variant of Concern
Audience: Individuals Performing COVID-19 Testing
Level: Laboratory Advisory
On June 15, 2021, CDC announced the classification of the SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.617.2 (Delta) as a variant of concern. This variant was initially identified in India in December 2020 and was previously classified as a variant of interest. The B.1.617.2 (Delta) lineage has been detected in at least 66 countries, including the United States.
Investigations are underway to further characterize B.1.617.2 (Delta) and its potential impact on SARS-CoV-2 transmission, disease severity, and effectiveness of existing tests, vaccines, and treatments.
Please share this message with your networks and invite them to opt in to LOCS to receive future updates.
- SARS-CoV-2 Variant Classifications and Definitions
- Variant Proportions in the United States
- Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Laboratories
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Calls
For questions, contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.