Healthcare Preparedness Toolbox
CDC’s Healthcare Preparedness and Response Team (HPRT) has conducted several meetings and workshops across the U.S. to help communities prepare for medical surge following a public health emergency. These community engagements helped identify pressing healthcare preparedness planning needs at the local level and subsequently informed the collaborative development of several planning resources.
The Healthcare Preparedness Toolbox compiles these resources and provides community planners with an easy-to-use guide to enhance or develop community plans for medical surge.
How to Use the Toolbox
The toolbox is available in two formats:
- A digital toolbox with webpages optimized to make finding and using information quick and easy.
- A complete PDF document of the Community Planning Framework for Healthcare Preparednesspdf icon
that includes all content, tools, and templates.
Two icons appear throughout the digital toolbox to highlight links to supplemental resources:
Downloadable and customizable worksheets in Microsoft Word format
HPA-developed healthcare preparedness tools
- Framework (All chapters in one file) pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB]
- Acknowledgmentsword icon
- Chapter 1 – Introductionword icon
- Chapter 2 – Building Planning Teams and Coalitionsword icon
- Chapter 3 – Documenting Day-to-Day Healthcare Deliveryword icon
- Chapter 4 – Planning for Moderate Surgeword icon
- Chapter 5 – Planning for Heavy Surge, Part 1 (Alternate Care Systems)word icon
- Chapter 6 – Planning for Heavy Surge, Part 2 (Essential Healthcare Services)word icon
- Chapter 7 – Planning for Heavy Surge, Part 3 (Crisis Standards of Care)word icon
- Chapter 8 – Conclusionword icon
- Appendicespdf icon