On March 6, 2020, the President signed into law the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 (P.L. 116-123). This act provides funding to prevent, prepare for, and respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
To support governmental public health emergency response to COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has activated CDC-RFA-TP18-1802 Cooperative Agreement for Emergency Response: Public Health Crisis Response. CDC has awarded nearly $730 million in funding under Components A and B of the cooperative agreement to the 65 eligible jurisdictions that are on the approved but unfunded (ABU) list for CDC-RFA-TP18-1802 to provide resources to prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19. This funding is intended for state, local, territorial, and tribal health departments to carry out surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity, infection control, mitigation, communications, and other preparedness and response activities.
CDC has awarded this funding in two phases:
- March 16: $569,822,380 was awarded to 65 jurisdictions. CDC awarded this critical funding in just 10 days, well within the 30-day window required by the supplemental appropriation.
- April 6: $160 million was awarded to 34 jurisdictions. This includes 27 jurisdictions with high COVID-19 case counts or evidence of rapidly accelerating case counts and seven U.S. territories and freely associated states with unique COVID-19 response challenges.
In addition, CDC redirected agency funds to initially award $25 million on March 5 to 21 jurisdictions for COVID-19 response activities.
For more information on the COVID-19 supplemental funding and the activities supported by these resources, please see the COVID-19 Crisis Response Cooperative Agreement – Components A and B Supplemental Funding Interim Guidancepdf icon.
- CDC COVID-19 Crisis Response Funding Webinar, May 28, 2020pdf icon
- CDC COVID-19 Crisis Response Total Funding to Datepdf icon
- Creating a COVID-19 Community Intervention Implementation Plan and Summarypdf icon
- CDC Grants Management Issues and COVID-19 Funding Webinar, March 26, 2020pdf icon
- COVID-19 Supplemental Funding FAQspdf icon
- Information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 Supplemental Funding to Jurisdictionspdf icon
- CDC COVID-19 Crisis Response Funding Webinar, March 18, 2020pdf icon
- CDC COVID-19 Website
- CDC Newsroom