Infographic: Be Ready! Earthquakes
Be Ready! Earthquakes
- Check your chimney and roof and repair loose tiles and bricks.
- Anchor items into the wall studs.
- Secure bookcases and shelves.
- Place heavy or large objects on lower shelves.
- DROP to your hands and knees, COVER your head and neck, and HOLD ON to your shelter until shaking stops.
- Know how to turn off your gas, electricity, and water.
- Include important documents in your emergency kit.
- Attach a valve wrench and label to your water line.
- Secure water heater with a wide metal strap around the top attached to wall studs.
- Stop quickly and safely, set the parking brake, and stay in the car until the shaking stops.
- Stay away from utility poles, overhead wires, and under/overpasses.
- Get down low and stay there until the shaking stops.
- If you are outside, stay outside and move away from buildings, utility wires, sinkholes, and fuel and gas lines.
Page last reviewed: November 21, 2016
Content source: Center for Preparedness and Response