Health Equity in Action
Health equity is achieved when everyone has a fair and just opportunity to attain their highest level of health. We all have a role to play to address injustices and overcome obstacles to health and health care. During the COVID-19 response, CDC continues to focus its health equity efforts on populations placed at higher risk for COVID-19 and other severe outcomes. Learn more about CDC’s work with funded partners to help reduce health disparities related to COVID-19 by reading the project showcases below.
Visit the CDC COVID-19 Response Health Equity Strategy to learn more.
The Extension Collaborative on Immunization Teaching and Engagement (EXCITE)
Population(s) of focus: People living in rural areas, people from racial and ethnic minority groups, and older adults
Purpose: Support land-grant universities within the U.S. Cooperative Extension System in delivering immunization education to the communities they serve to improve vaccine confidence. This effort includes education and work with local partners, including healthcare providers, to make COVID-19 and other adult vaccines more accessible for rural and medically underserved communities.
Partners: U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture land grant universities across the United States.
More on Health Equity
- Health Equity and Disparities
- Health Equity Guiding Principles
- Racism and Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- What We Can Do to Promote Health Equity
- Equity in Adult Vaccination
- A Guide for Community Partners: Increasing COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake Among Members of Racial and Ethnic Minority Communities pdf icon[1.7 MB, 22 Pages]
- COVID-19 Vaccine Equity: Best Practices for Community and Faith-Based Organizations pdf icon[332 KB, 2 Pages]
- Motivate to Vaccinate: National Month of Action for COVID-19 Vaccinesexternal icon (July 8, 2021)
- Promising Practices in Health Equityexternal icon (June 2, 2020)
- Print Resources
Posters, guides, checklists
- Resources for Disproportionately Affected Communities