Cholesterol Tools and Trainings for Health Professionals
Visit our event page for helpful resources and tools to start important conversations with your patients about high blood cholesterol.
Health professionals can access a variety of tools, resources, and training materials to develop and support programs that focus on preventing and managing high cholesterol.
Fact sheets and statistics related to high cholesterol
Guidelines and recommendations
- 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines
Presents recommendations for guideline-directed management and therapy for patients with or at risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
- 2013 American Heart Association (AHA)/American College of Cardiology (ACC) Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk
Provides evidence-based guidelines from the AHA/ACC Task Force.
- Systematic Review for the 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines
A literature review to assess the magnitude of benefit and/or harm from additional lipid-modifying therapies compared with statins alone.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and reduce the risk of disease. Published jointly every 5 years by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Provides links to recommendations and reports from an independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention who systematically review the effectiveness of clinical preventive services.
- Guide to Community Preventive Services (The Community Guide)
Summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease from the Community Preventive Services Task Force.
Tools and training
- Workplace Health Promotion: Cholesterol Interventions
An employer-based training program with the aim to improve the organizational health of participating employers and certified trainers. Emphases include strategies to reduce chronic disease and injury risk to employees and an eye to improving overall worker productivity.
- Cholesterol Management Protocols
A web resource from CDC’s Million Hearts® initiative featuring evidence-based protocols, a flow diagram of the ACC/AHA guidelines to create your own cholesterol management protocol, and a downloadable ASCVD Risk Estimator. The Risk Estimator calculates patients’ approximate 10-year and lifetime risk for ASCVD (atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease).
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
A web-based resource from CDC for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including what to do and how to do it.
- Community Health Worker’s Training Resource
A comprehensive training manual from CDC to improve skills and competencies of community health workers. It includes a chapter on high cholesterol with information, activities, tip sheets, and resources on ways to reduce cholesterol.
- Managing Blood Cholesterol in Adults: Systematic Evidence Review from the Cholesterol Expert Panel
- Managing Overweight and Obesity in Adults: Systematic Evidence Review from the Obesity Expert Panel