High Cholesterol Educational Materials for Professionals
State Public Health Actions Program
Data and Statistics
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
- Global Cardiovascular Infobase
Information on how heart disease is being addressed in the developing world. Data on demographics, mortality, morbidity, risk factors, and related health care are linked to interactive country maps.
- G8 Promoting Heart Health
Information about this initiative, which aims to disseminate best practices from various countries for implementing interventions to prevent heart disease.
Guidelines and Recommendations
- Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III)
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating high cholesterol. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Managing Overweight and Obesity in Adults: Systematic Evidence Review from the Obesity Expert Panel
From the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and reduce risk of disease. Published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)
The USPSTF site links to recommendations and reports from an independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention who systematically review the effectiveness of clinical preventive services.
- Guide to Community Preventive Services
The Community Guide summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program Coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.
- Community Health Worker’s Training Resource
A comprehensive training manual to improve skills and competencies of community health workers. Includes a chapter on high cholesterol with information, activities, tip sheets and resources on ways to reduce cholesterol.
- Page last reviewed: March 17, 2015
- Page last updated: March 17, 2015
- Content source: