Cholesterol Patient Education Handouts
The fact sheets and handouts below can help your patients understand how high low-density lipoprotein cholesterol affects their health and risk for heart disease and stroke. These resources can also help your patients find ways to lower their cholesterol and make healthy lifestyle changes.
- Cholesterol Conversation Starters pdf icon[PDF – 516 KB]
Use these conversation starters to talk with your family and health care team about high cholesterol and heart health. It is available in English and Spanish pdf icon[PDF – 95 KB].
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
High cholesterol raises the risk of PAD, which happens when plaque buildup narrows or blocks blood vessels, preventing blood from reaching the legs and feet.
- ABCS of Heart Health pdf icon[PDF – 278 KB]external icon
This easy-to-understand fact sheet about heart health (aspirin use when appropriate, blood pressure control, cholesterol management, and smoking cessation) is available in English and Spanish pdf icon[PDF – 1.2 MB]external icon.
- Promotoras and other community health workers (CHWs) are encouraged to read the fotonovela with participants. A Promotora/CHW Guide accompanies the fotonovela and gives these members of the health care team a brief summary of objectives, tips, additional activities, reviews, and reminders.
- How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol: A Fotonovela pdf icon[PDF – 3.7 MB]; Spanish Version: Aprenda a controlar sus niveles de colesterol: Una fotonovela pdf icon[PDF – 4 MB]
- How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol: A Promotora Guide pdf icon[PDF – 783 KB]; Spanish Version: Cómo controlar la grasa y el colesterol: Guía de la promotora pdf icon[PDF – 831 KB]