Histologic Type ICD-O-3
This variable indicates the morphology code from The International Classification of Diseases for Oncology,external icon Third Edition (ICD-O-3) that describes the histologic type (the microscopic composition of cells and tissue for a specific primary tumor) of the primary tumor being reported.
Considerations for Use
- This data item is required for cancer cases diagnosed on or after January 1, 2001.
- The histology codes for some tumors may be based on clinical diagnoses, not pathologic confirmation. When analyzing a specific histology, we suggest using the Diagnostic confirmation variable in conjunction with this variable. Beginning with 2010 diagnoses, this item also includes histology codes as specified in the
WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues (2008), which are listed on pages 4–6 of the NAACCR 2010 Implementation Guidelines. pdf icon[PDF-1.3MB]external icon
- SEER 2007 Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules pdf icon[PDF-552KB]external icon
- SEER Hematopoietic Projectexternal icon
- ICD-O-3 SEER Site/Histology validation listexternal icon
- SEER Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Databaseexternal icon
- SEER Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Coding Manual pdf icon[PDF-807KB]external icon
- International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, Third Editionexternal icon