Focus Area: Individual and Community Awareness
Cervical Cancer Screening Change Package
The individual and community awareness focus area includes tools and resources to inform and educate the public about cancer, risk factors, and screening practices to increase awareness about and demand for cancer screening services.
- Change concepts are “general notions that are useful for developing more specific strategies for changing a process.”1
- Change ideas are evidence-based or practice-based “actionable, specific ideas or strategies.”1
- Each change idea is linked to tools and resources that can be used or adapted to improve cancer screening.
- Tools and resources with a symbol may contain some information that does not reflect the current US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations for cervical cancer screening.
- Tools and resources with a symbol are patient resources.
See a list of acronyms used in this change package.
Change Concept: Inform and educate the public to increase awareness and use of recommended cancer screenings.
Tools and Resources, by Change Idea
- Evidence-Based Cancer Control Programs (EBCCP) (IHPR at UT Health San Antonio) — A Su Salud en Acción, see Program Materials: A Su Salud en Acción Manual (PDF), pages 80–84
- NIHB — Health Systems Improvement Toolkit: A Guide to Cancer Screenings in Indian Country [PDF-4.2MB], pages 27–28
- Evidence-Based Cancer Control Programs (EBCCP) (IHPR at UT Health San Antonio) — A Su Salud en Acción, see Program Materials: A Su Salud en Acción Manual (PDF), pages 85–101
- GW Cancer Center — Health Equity Toolbox: Resources to Foster Cultural Sensitivity and Equitable Care for All [PDF-386KB]
- ACOG — Cervical Cancer Screening Frequently Asked Questions
- ACOG — Screening and Prevention
- Baylor College of Medicine — Online Health Library, see Cervical Cancer and HPV Vaccine tabs [English, Spanish, and Vietnamese interactive website and screening videos]
- CDC — Cervical Cancer [videos, information sheets, data in English and Spanish]
- CDC — Inside Knowledge Cervical Cancer Fact Sheet [PDF-570KB] [information sheet]; also available in Spanish [PDF-544KB]
- CDC — Under the Paper Gown: A Comedy Web Series [videos]
- CDC — Cervical Cancer Videos [English and Spanish]
- CDC — What Should I Know About Screening? [English and Spanish]
- Navajo Department of Health — Navajo Cancer Prevention Program [English and Navajo videos with some patient information included]
- NCI — Understanding Breast Changes: A Health Guide for Women [information booklet]; also available in Spanish
- Office on Women’s Health — Pap and HPV Tests [patient information sheet]; also available in Spanish
- PHC — Cervical Cancer Screening Awareness Toolkit [English and Spanish posters, infographic, postcards, social media images]
- UCLA, UCI, Latinas Contra Cáncer, NCCC, and ASCCP — Understanding Cervical Cancer Prevention [English and Spanish video and course]
1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tobacco Cessation Change Package. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2019.